I have a couple questions please open!

iPwnF00lz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a tripod, just a cheapy, it's called a Quantaray QSX 66OI TM.
It seems pretty sturdy I'm just wondering if any of your guys are familiar with it or know of it's quality.

I am also wondering what lense you would recommend for me to get for my D70, I have a 18-70mm lense and I'm looking for more of a range for distance.

I also love my speedlight sb-600 flash, do you think its a decent flash make?

PS. Haven't been on TPF in ages how are you guys all doing today?

As for the tripod, never heard of it. This is a good read on Tripods. Understand that you don't have to spend the kind of money that Thom does, but the point he makes is a good one.
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

As for a lens, the all important question is always, what is your budget. Probably the most versatile addition would be a 70-200 f2.8VR. Are you willing to pay that kind of money. That is where stating your budget is helpful for making recommendations.

Thanks thats a nice read.

I would say around $200 for the lense, I am not doing very well with saving up money lately so it would most likely be a graduation gift.

its hard to get a decent lens for 200.. but if you can go up a bit i know the 55-200 is around 250ish.. one of my students has it, he loves it.. he got it when best buy had it on sale for 199.. i havent used it, but, it seems to get decent reviews for the price it is

I would say around $200 for the lense

For that money, you probably can't do much better than a Sigma 70-300/f4-5.6, however there is always the risk that you get a bad copy (which I think I got :dunno: ). It sells for about $150 usd. Another poster (pujayapin, I think) got one, and he has posted some really good, sharp photos taken with that lens on a D40 I think.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your input guys, its a big help.

I will mention me desiring a 55-200 lense and if they would rather not pay that much I will mention the sigma:goodvibe:

Quantaray is the house-brand name for Ritz Camera. Offhand I don't know who manufactures for them, but it's long been rumored their Quantaray lenses are made by Sigma.

I looked at every tripod available on display at my local Ritz. They ranged from $70 to $150. I went to Walmart and pulled the $30 job out of the box and can say it felt like twice as sturdy as any of those available for me to look at Ritz.

Note, I am not placing a dSLR with a 55-200mm lens on it though. I only have a superzoom and the Walmart one is great for that. I don't know how it would hold up to a dSLR with a lens, but it was definitely more up to the task than anything I look at in Ritz. Every one at Ritz that I looked at, the legs flexed quite a bit just setting them down on the store floor.

I have a Quantaray by Sunpak QSX 800I. I like it, but I don't have a dSLR camera just yet. But for now it is quite adjustable and seems of good quality to me. But I didn't really shop around so I don't know what to look for. But it works for me! Of course I checked it out before I bought it, and it seemed like a great tripod. :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been using it a lot lately and it's very sturdy, definitely study enough for my use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back