I have camera strap problems...

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep buying straps because I can't find one that's comfortable for me.

Erwin-160301-1646.jpg

I'm sure some of you may have even more straps than I do. But I just can't get comfortable using my camera. Is this what people who switch to mirrorless feel like?

I used the RS-7 for years when I had the D7000 + MB-D11 and that was okay but it got annoying after a while because it kept riding up on my neck and giving me a rash..always had to constantly adjust it. I heard about the BRAD attachment, got that and that kept it off my shoulder, but for some reason, it really limited my movement so I took it off.

When I bought my D610, I didn't want to use this trap anymore...so I bought the Op/Tech pro loop neck strap which I only used on my shoulder and then when I was taking pictures I put the strap around my neck but never let my camera hang from there, I always had my hand on it. That also got uncomfortable after a while.

I then bought the Op/Tech Super Classic with extensions to make my own sling style strap which worked, but the strap had be flipped over because the Super Classic pad has a rubber and prevented it from sliding which then drove the triglides into my back and chest which got annoying. I only tried using it for a month and gave up.

I didn't want to use the tripod socket to support my camera because of the horror stories I heard, but they were few and far between. It happens unfortunately, but it's normally due to human error. I mean Nikon has their own official branded sling strap made by BlackRapid. So they must think its okay to use tripod socket, maybe they are made tougher recently? I don't know.

But I decided to give it a try again and bought the Black Rapid Cross Shot Sling which I never heard of. But a lot of people who bought it said it was better and more comfortable than the RS-7. I do like this strap though, its a lot more compact and easily foldable to fit in your camera bag without taking up much space. The metal clamp thing is thicker than the one on my RS-7 and it doesn't move as much. It gave me a little bit more confidence. I also saw a video of two guys hanging off a punching bag that was hanging off of this strap..over 300 pounds before the strap broke. I was impressed.

The rubber pad is great because it really doesn't move and because it's nowhere near as wide as the RS-7 it doesn't get near my neck. The strap is really long which is good if you are going to be wearing it over jackets and coats. Though the RS-7 was plenty long enough for me.

The only thing that I hate and is kind of preventing me from using this strap is that the rubber grips so incredibly well that it just grabs your clothing pulls it tight under the armpit area and really becomes uncomfortable.

Erwin-160301-1644.jpg

If you are wearing a loose shirt, forget it. It just grabs and grabs. The strap just grips to your clothes and it still moves and you still have to adjust it every now and then. Wearing tighter clothing, it's not too bad but still becomes uncomfortable.

But it does look good, it's really minimalistic, thought about blacking out the logo.

I know...there is no perfect camera strap. I just really like the Black Rapid straps because they are removable easily and leave no attachments behind, unless you leave the Fastnr attached but I just unscrew it when I'm not using the strap and that way my camera has no strap attached at all. Very handy if you are shooting indoors or doing portraits or something like that when you don't really need a strap.

Style + Comfortable in camera straps just doesn't exist. But this BR Cross Shot Sling is the closest thing I found yet. But I don't know if I'm going to use it.

I thought about Peak Design's Slide but it just seems to cumbersome to me.

I really cannot get comfortable carrying my camera anymore and even after losing nearly 100 pounds, I thought it would be more comfortable to wear my camera, but its just not. I don't know what to do. It really makes me want to sell it all and switch to a lightweight system but I know I'll regret it.

Last edited:
Wow,
I just use one strap. The one that came with the camera, or I don't use a strap. This on my old d7000 with the grip and D600 with the grip too and both with the spare battery.

I guess I'm just used to it as a camera weighs less than a saxophone.

Wow,
I just use one strap. The one that came with the camera, or I don't use a strap. This on my old d7000 with the grip and D600 with the grip too and both with the spare battery.

I guess I'm just used to it as a camera weighs less than a saxophone.

The weight doesn't bother me so much, its just can't find a comfortable way to carry it.

I have a bin full of retired straps, and none that I completely love. I do like my Spider holster pretty well

How about going without a shoulder strap. Maybe try the wrist/hand type straps? Does not sound like you are going to find the perfect anything.
Good luck.

How about going without a shoulder strap. Maybe try the wrist/hand type straps? Does not sound like you are going to find the perfect anything.
Good luck.

I'll probably just stick with the Black Rapid Cross Shot Sling. Its pulls on my clothes, but atleast it doesn't slide around like the RS7. But I may order Black Rapid's wrist strap as well to have in my bag when I'm just walking around a car show or something.

I didn't care for the BR strap that I tried. My solution is not perfect but I find it very comfortable and it works well for me. I have a curved and padded very long neck strap (I bought it at Target of all places) that I find very comfortable to wear my 7100 cross body. I also have a Lowepro sling that I use as a day bag that I wear cross body the same side as the camera. I adjust both straps so that the camera sits on the shelf made by the bag so the weight is on both the bag and the camera strap and the camera doesn't bounce off my hip when I'm walking yet it's right there to grab when I need it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmm. I'll have to check it on the desktop later.

Yeah, I don't trust that strap at all.

lol.PNG

Maybe something like this might fit the bill, haven't tried it myself but I must admit I've been pretty curious and tempted to try one out.

Amazon.com : Cotton Carrier Vest system for 1 camera - New Release! : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo

Haha, totally not for me.

Does raise the geek factor quite a bit, granted - but still I've been thinking about giving one a shot. I like my Black Rapid but it would be nice to be able to move around without the camera moving around quite so much.

Well, I'm sending the Cross Shot Sling back. Its just not that comfortable and it was really bothering my collar bone for some reason.

Most reactions

Back