I have no idea where to start

nastenka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys so I'm actually interested in photography the last 3 years but I never had the chance of joining a course or something, I don't have any relatives interested in or so... basically I kinda have a style, like I adore some photography artists and I really really want to start taking pics, mostly nude and portrait, like the ongoing series of body art aaaand yeah the camera- I have canon powershot sx 160 is, it's really cheap and easy but couldn't quite get to know it. what I'm asking is if I could learn the basics with that machine and what I should know about beginning photography -If you have any links- and which effects do my favorite artists use.
for ex I really like ashley armitage and the effect used on this photo:
ashley armitage - Google'da Ara

thanks for reading and if you'd share your knowledge with me :)

what I'm asking is if I could learn the basics with that machine and what I should know about beginning photography -
The basics does include composition, so I recommend that you start there.

BTW: I think you should put a "warning: NSFW" on the link.

what I'm asking is if I could learn the basics with that machine and what I should know about beginning photography -
The basics does include composition, so I recommend that you start there.

BTW: I think you should put a "warning: NSFW" on the link.

I saw some things on there that I can't un-see. It was interesting.

IMHO - I don't see "photography" photos there, just poorly taken and poorly framed "girly" snapshots. If those are the types of photos you want to take then you have the camera you need for it.
Nothing wrong with the photos just not photos that exhibit any photographic skills.

Best advice I can give, as Designer recommended, is to study composition. I think that once you do that you'll want to find a different style to admire or emulate. To each their own, but I personally see nothing about those photographs to admire.

I suppose the person who took many of those pictures may have been trying to push some limits, or make some sort of statement, or something, but a lot of the photos aren't particularly good. Although in the google search I don't know that those were all taken by the same person. Maybe there was a particular photo you were looking at.

Yes you could learn some photography basics using a point 'n shoot or inexpensive camera. Try searching for elements of composition in art, that should give you some links. Or look up famous photographers and see what they've done. You don't necessarily have to do traditional photos but it would help to learn the basics,

OMG these ashley armitage pictures in your link caused me to temporary loos my eye sight, it was pretty horrible :(
If this is your aspiration get yourself a cell phone (cheap one) and ask people to take their close off and picture them.
If you want to really get into photography then here are some links that will give you a start

easyexposure

Start with lesson one and move one, this lady helped me when I started

Also while there is nothing wrong with your current camera I would recommend you to consider getting a beginners DSLR like the Nikon D3300 2 or 3 basic lenses like the kit lens 18-55mm VR and 50mm 1.8G

You'll probably struggle a bit with that camera if you want to get into different studio lighting techniques to control the lighting in order to create mood in a scene (as it has no hotshoe to control off camera flash). It'll probably also struggle in low light situations (eg inside a building). it also probably won't cope well with fast moving subjects as the autofocus is probably quite slow and shutter lag would be an issue. It probably won't have a great deal of dynamic range (the difference between the shadows and the highlights) so may be prone to clip shadows and highlighs with little chance of recovery.

But it does have a manual mode, so yeah you could start to learn the basics (try starting with the exposure triangle) and might even get some decent shots in bright, evenly light conditions with a static subject.

You have all information on Internet to start with, youtube for instance, books and ebooks. That's how I started anyway

Most reactions

New Topics

Back