I just bought a 40D and there might be something wrong with it; can you help me?

FieldsForests

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a 40d and this is my first ever SLR. Anyways, I thought I'd try a test shot.

I allign the lens with red and turn it, it clicks. I set it to Auto.

When I take a picture however, the flash opens and it flashes three times, or sometimes once. On the odd occasion I click the button it will take a picture but what's with the flash three times and shouldn't it be taking a picture EVERY time you click down?

Thankyou.

I just bought a 40d and this is my first ever SLR. Anyways, I thought I'd try a test shot.

When I take a picture however, the flash opens and it flashes three times, or sometimes once. On the odd occasion I click the button it will take a picture but what's with the flash three times and shouldn't it be taking a picture EVERY time you click down?

Thankyou.

The camera is smarter than you are. I am not being rude. The camera sees the light or lack there of. The flash is going off to try and figure out what the exposure settings need to be based on the light provided. Turn the flash off (read the manual) and try it you shouldnt have any issues snapping pictures other than they will be under exposed or blurry if exposed properly due to the lack of light

Thankyou.
Nothing is wrong with the camera. You're shooting in AUTO Mode and the camera must think the surrounding lighting isn't enough so it pops up the pop-up flash to help illuminate the shot. When it does the multiple flash thing, it must be pretty dark because the camera is trying to figure out just how much power will be required of the flash to light the shot...and I think it's also trying to figure out distance to the subject so it can lock focus.

Haha! Don't worry I'm an idiot when it comes to this. Why isn't it taking pictures though every click?

Also. I forgot to get a CF card. Is there any built in storage (maybe 32mb) where I could just test the camera out?

Haha! Don't worry I'm an idiot when it comes to this. Why isn't it taking pictures though every click?

Also. I forgot to get a CF card. Is there any built in storage (maybe 32mb) where I could just test the camera out?
sorry, could you repeat that please. :lol:

Having it set to Auto will almost always pop up the built-in flash if it thinks its needed. I suggest to read the manual and get off Auto setting as soon as possible. "P" mode is better and pop up the flash as you see fit.

If it's anything like mine (400D), it will flash the flash repeatedly as a focus assist. But this takes the flash's power and in auto modes, it won't shoot if it thinks it needs flash and the flash hasn't recycled.

Without going into the manual and semi-auto modes, if you just want to play with it to see how fast it'll take shots, you can turn it to the 'no flash' mode (the setting with a line through the lightning bolt). Or take it where there's enough light (like outside during daylight). Your CF card and storage have nothing to do with it.

Nope, no built in storage (other than the buffer, but that's not the same thing as storage).

Oh yeah...be sure to read the Owner's Manual.

Flash part of the question's already answered above. It's the focus assist coz it's too dark.

It's probably not taking photos because it's not focused correctly. Go somewhere brighter, or half depress the shutter button until it focusses then press it the rest of the way down. If it still doesn't focus, try again.
If it still doesn't focus, read the instruction manual and the section on focussing.

Have fun!

forgot to mention that you'll know it's focussed coz the camera will make a little bleep bleep noise, or the red light in the viewfinder will blink red.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back