I know the camera dont mak the picture but,

ilockert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As of right now i have a
Nikon D50 body with 18-55,55-200,70-300 and a 50mm lens and an SB-800 flash. Ive been thinking about up gradeing my body to a D200 or a D300 when it hits the shelves, but on another hand Ive been leaning towards going canon. I know people get tired of reading the what camera should i get thread, but Im not 100% knowledgeable about canons. I guess what im trying to say is what Canon DSLR is compared to a D200 or D300 and be roughly the same price range.

Also Dose canon have the same wireless set ups as nikon have when it comes to the CLS?

Thanks in advanced.

No inface Canon's wireless system sucks wrt cost of entry. You need to buy a 580EX I think (or a dedicated wireless flash transmitter) just to be able to trigger another flash. Anyway you look at it's expensive compared to a camera with the transmitter built-in.

Also do you have too much money? Yes I did mean it in that tone. This is the first time I have ever heard someone even consider abandoning thousands worth of equipment just to buy a new camera body. None of your old stuff will work on a Canon.

Also the camera in your equipment list may be cheap but it is by far not the limiting factor. None of your lenses are wide aperture or special to say the least. While the Nikon D200 is a great camera, and the D300 even better with an autofocus system to die for it will probably spit out the same pictures after you bolt those lenses on.

If you must get a new camera body I highly recommend the D200 once the 300 hits the shelves because you can probably get it at a bargain price. If you have the extra money for the D300 which does have a few nicer features, the most impressive IMO being the autofocus then by all means.

My own suggestions would be to look at expanding your existing gear. Maybe a 105mm macro, or a 50mm f/1.8, or a second SB-800 so you can actually take good advantage of wireless CLS.

I have the 50 1.8 already. I plan on picking up new glass as well. Im aware that the Nikon lens wont work on canons. If I Stay with Nikon I plan on pick up 2 sb-600 so i enjoy the CLS fully as well as a few lens such as the 105 macro and Nikons fisheye, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tokina 12 - 24 mm, or Sigma 10 - 20. [/FONT]

I must say, I agree with Garbz on this one. Why do you have an urge to switch over to Canon? I don't have anything against Canon as far as their camera systems go, but to me it seems crazy to abandon the considerable amount you've invested in your gear already.

I would also suggest, if you decide to stick with Nikon, that your money would be better spent on some high quality lenses than a body upgrade. I shoot with the D50 myself, and find it to be a very capable body with a set of good glass in front of it. Is there a specific reason you want to upgrade to the D300, or is it just because it's newer and "better"?

As of right now i have a
Nikon D50 body with 18-55,55-200,70-300 and a 50mm lens and an SB-800 flash. Ive been thinking about up gradeing my body to a D200 or a D300 when it hits the shelves, but on another hand Ive been leaning towards going canon.

Sounds like you've got a pretty substantial investment in the Nikon system. There really isn't that much difference between Nikon and Canon (I've got my investment in Canon, btw). I'd say, stick with Nikon. You won't gain much (anything, really) by switching, and you'll wind up spending quite a bit of extra money just to get back to the equivalent of what you have now.

Plus, IIRC, the twist-to-remove for Canon and Nikon lenses is opposite direction; if you're like me, this will aggravate you to no end for several months :LOL:

main reason for the body upgrade is the D50 low fps and the nosie at high iso and plus the D50 wont fire my SB800 off camera.

LOL - I totally understand the flash thing.... that's the one thing that really bugs me about my D50. I do plan on upgrading mine eventually, I just have other things on the list that are more of a priority, as I've been quite happy with the results I get from the D50.

If you do decide to upgrade, I still really think it would be smart to stick with Nikon.

Yea im thinking a used D200 or a new D300 is the route im going. After talking with a few friends tonight they've promised me the D200 or 300 will fit my needs with out a doubt and if it don't they would be more and happy to take it off my hands,.....lol.

I've been a Nikon only shooter (in 35mm/digital) since 1969. I own 5 DSLR's, all Nikon, none will fire my SB-800 wireless from the camera. I don't find it a limiting factor in my photography. (D1, D1H, 3 D1X's) I will most likely get a D3 when they are available but not just because of the flash. In all the years/decades I've shot Nikon I have never been tempted to change to Canon. Any of my friends that did eventually were wanting to change back. Nikon and Canon hop scotch each other every few years, so stick with one system and enjoy.

If you care more about the flash than the fps, a $30 set of wireless flash triggers can be had on ebay.

The D200 has 5fps, the D300 has 6fps. The D200 has a CCD which means it won't be any less noisy than the D50 really. Slightly less due to much better circuitry and a better sensor but it won't be an in your face now I can shoot at ISO3200 difference. The D300 on the other hand has a new CMOS sensor and while I haven't seen any pictures I've heard the noise was substantially improved. But remember this is high ISO. It doesn't matter what camera you shoot, even film, bump the iso up over 800 and if you zoom in it will be noisy and fuzzy as heck.

I don't mind since I print my photos and don't zoom in on them on the computer screen.

Most reactions

Back