I May Be Wrong, But ...

great looking bird.. I go along with the sophisticated look.. :mrgreen: wonderful shots of a very hard subject

Hi Scott , I too photograph wild Turkeys every year . It is extremely early to see a Tom strutting ,Drumming and Spitting as in your last photo. I agree you have some fine shots here .....They will attack you, BTW.

Another bird on my wish list. I have never seen a wild turkey. Great shots under difficult conditions.

Brian, you don't have to travel too terribly far to see them. There are plenty in your friendly neighbor to the south, Washington state.

It's weird...as a boy growing up I was fascinated by stories that talked about how cagey and wiley wild turkeys were supposed to be...fast forward about 40 years after they were introduced to Oregon...the area around my old hometown is filled with wild turkeys, around here considered a menace to agriculture, and dumb as a fencepost, often being hit by passing cars, caught by rural dogs, and in general being very docile, stupid, and barely able to survive without handouts or raiding of local gardens and livestock food supplies.

Oregon's wild turkeys are spreading, but aren't always so wild | OregonLive.com

They look delicious.

Ugly? Pshaw. Turkeys are gorgeous - nothing more beautiful than the site of one of them being pulled from the oven. Just one man's opinion of course.. lol
Only when the feathers are gone and the skin is golden brown ;)

great looking bird.. I go along with the sophisticated look.. :mrgreen: wonderful shots of a very hard subject
Beauty may only be skin deep but where these critters are concerned I can't get past the skin deep part ;)

Hi Scott , I too photograph wild Turkeys every year . It is extremely early to see a Tom strutting ,Drumming and Spitting as in your last photo. I agree you have some fine shots here .....They will attack you, BTW.
Hi Clyde. I know very little about them so I'll take you at your word that it's early for them ;) I don't go out looking for them I just happen to run across them at this particular state park from time to time. The area is 1,200 acres in size, although a large part of that is lake, plus all the properties adjoining it so they have a lot of roaming room. I hear them a lot more often than I see them though.

Radnor Lake State Natural Area has rules against just about anything one could possibly want to do in a state park. I haven't seen a rule posted about whacking an attacking Wild Turkey with a carbon fiber tripod though ;)

It's weird...as a boy growing up I was fascinated by stories that talked about how cagey and wiley wild turkeys were supposed to be...fast forward about 40 years after they were introduced to Oregon...the area around my old hometown is filled with wild turkeys, around here considered a menace to agriculture, and dumb as a fencepost, often being hit by passing cars, caught by rural dogs, and in general being very docile, stupid, and barely able to survive without handouts or raiding of local gardens and livestock food supplies.

Oregon's wild turkeys are spreading, but aren't always so wild | OregonLive.com
I admittedly know very little about them other than what I've heard turkey hunters tell me. These guys fit your description of docile though since they paraded across the road right in front of me. It could be that they are smart enough to know that the area is a State Natural Area and they are as safe as they could possibly be, or it could be that they are just dumb as rocks ;)

Most reactions

Back