I need a new paper

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
I have a $50 amazon gift cert and I need some new paper, since I just finished a box this weekend. I want to try more FB. I am not fond of warm tones and gloss (altho I understand FB glossy isn't really, unless you ferrotype it? Is that right?) Was thinking of trying Agfa. I think some of you use it? 111 or 118?

Thoughts or other suggestions?

:)

I've used Agfa 118 a bunch. Love that paper, and I use it for any print I know I'll want to handcolor. It has a bit of tooth to it, which makes it perfect for that technique, but I also know it will not render an image as crisply as, say, Ilford glossy (another fave). The Agfa does tend to curl a LOT, which I know is one of your pet peeves. :wink:

btw, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement about the FB glossy not being a true glossy. I've only used the Ilford, and it looks glossy to me (and compared to the 118 surface it sure is).

the agfa is fab. it will render your highlights a bit warmer, though. bergger has a greenish tint to it (quite cool, actually). ilford: i love their film, but dislike most of their papers. oriental seagull is a killer paper that has deep, rich blacks and responds well to post-dev work. luminos is to die for. forte is also a paper that i always keep around.

it really comes down to what will you be printing.

** edit - ferrotype is an alternative process that utilizes iron (ferro)

You 'glaze' fibre based prints to make them really glossy. You dry them face down on a hot chrome plate. Is not worth the effort because so much can go wrong - and the glaze cracks easy.
I always preferred Kodak film with Ilford FB paper. It's just personal preferences.

Hertz van Rental said:
You 'glaze' fibre based prints to make them really glossy. You dry them face down on a hot chrome plate. Is not worth the effort because so much can go wrong - and the glaze cracks easy.

Yeah, that's what I meant. People on the apug forum have called it ferrotype, I think. Unless I misunderstood.

Well I gotta look around amazon s'more and see which ones they have, they don't have a great selection, but I will pick something to try out. Thanks :)

Groovy. Let me know how you like the Agfa 111, I'm real curious.

I also am interested in the Bergger paper. Is their darkroom paper as outrageously expensive as their inkjet papers? :? I bend over and pay it every time, cause they make gorgeous papers, but have avoided darkroom products so far.

Yeah it was over $21 for the pack, compared to like $13 for the Agfa pack. :| But it's like free to me so I didn't mind, since the $50 gift cert showed up totally unexpectedly from a forum I frequent for work! :D

oriecat said:
Yeah it was over $21 for the pack, compared to like $13 for the Agfa pack. :| But it's like free to me so I didn't mind, since the $50 gift cert showed up totally unexpectedly from a forum I frequent for work! :D

Yow. Well, hurray for gift certificates! :cheer:

Still not as outrageous as their inkjet papers. They're beautiful papers, look like artist's papers (that's the whole point) but very costly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back