I need some help to buy an ndgrad-filter

Reeves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!
I really want to get a good ndgrad filter and I just wantet to ask you guys
if you think the stuff I want to get would be a good choise.
I shoot with a Canon 450d and a Sigma 10-20mm.
The filter I've got now is a "screw-in" ND8.

Will this mach my lens? I know the Singh-Ray filter is really good,
but is the holder and adapter allright? Will they work my lens?

filter: Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

filterholder: LEE Filters | Foundation Kit | FK | B&H Photo Video

adapter-ring: LEE Filters | Adapter Ring - 77mm - for Wide Angle | WAR077

Last edited:
Yes, those will work. Not sure if you saw this page there or not Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

You could buy those filters in the Cokin-P size, and use the Cokin P filter holder and lens adapter ring, which together only costs $28. I was shocked to see the price of $59.95 for the filter adapter ring...I mean, geeze, that is just a threaded piece of aluminum with a flange edge on it...and the filter holder is also quite expensive. I would say definitely buy the good Singh-Ray filters, like a hard-edged 3-stop and a soft-transition 2-stop or soft-transition 3-stop filter, but the price Lee is getting for those filter holders is shocking.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but I picked up a Lee filter holder set and ring seven or eight years ago and the cost was much,much,much lower than it is today.

I'll be darned...somebody did a blog TODAY, on this type of filter holders!!!
Better Family Photos Weekly: One Filter Ring to Rule Them All

Thank you for such a fast answer :) And yes, I read that article a few days ago.

I totally agree that it is so overprized, but I'm pretty new to this so I really
don't know what things cost and should cost.

But is the Cokin P holder big enough for 10mm? I thought it was to small!
And I wonder if the 4x6 size would be a better choise, because then I would get
to place the horizon wherever I want in the frame. What do you think?
Would a Cocin P holder fit the 4x6 size?

I plan to use the filter on sunrise- and sunset seascapes. And I guess a hard-stop 4x6 would do good?

Just copying my response to another thread.

"I would go with a Cokin pro system. With adapter rings it will fit just about any lens you can get and it is a much better way to do ND filters when you get into the Graduated ones which you will eventually do. If you keep doing landscapes that is. The only thing I would not get from them is a CPL. I don't like them.

COKIN Creative System - The Holder System

Some one recently mentioned another brand with a similar system but I don't remember the name of it. Sorry.

The CPL is the first filter you should thing about getting imho. Just don't get a cheap one and get it as big as you think you will need (look at the other lenses you would eventually get) and use adapter rings. It will be cheaper in the long run."

From here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/203791-nd-filter.html

Thank you for such a fast answer :) And yes, I read that article a few days ago.

I totally agree that it is so overprized, but I'm pretty new to this so I really
don't know what things cost and should cost.

But is the Cokin P holder big enough for 10mm? I thought it was to small!
And I wonder if the 4x6 size would be a better choise, because then I would get
to place the horizon wherever I want in the frame. What do you think?
Would a Cocin P holder fit the 4x6 size?

I plan to use the filter on sunrise- and sunset seascapes. And I guess a hard-stop 4x6 would do good?

I prefer the 4X6. With an ultra wide I don't worry about vignetting. While I agree that the Singh-Ray filters are expensive, if you take care of them they will fit virtually any lens you own and will last a lifetime.

I realize that Cokin is a popular filter due to it's price. The Cokin ND filters are not true neutral density glass. They are actually a gray glass. I have read of complaints of color variations using the Cokin ND filters.

I prefer the 4X6. With an ultra wide I don't worry about vignetting. While I agree that the Singh-Ray filters are expensive, if you take care of them they will fit virtually any lens you own and will last a lifetime.

I realize that Cokin is a popular filter due to it's price. The Cokin ND filters are not true neutral density glass. They are actually a gray glass. I have read of complaints of color variations using the Cokin ND filters.

So a Cocin P would work with a 4x6 then? Someone told me that I'd probably have to go for the Z-PRO...

So a Cocin P would work with a 4x6 then? Someone told me that I'd probably have to go for the Z-PRO...

No, you need a 100mm holder. That would be the Cokin Z-pro or the Lee holder.

Like I thought :)
I've heard there is a wideangle slim cokin p holder ore something like that to...
Anyway; thanks for all the help! It is much appreciated :)

As an alternative, look at Formatt filters. I use or used ND grads from Lee, Formatt and Cokin. Cokin filters are the worst by a fair margin. They are not really neutral and sometimes give a purple cast to grey skies. I cannot tell any difference in the pictures taken with Lee and Formatt filters, but Formatt filters are cheaper. Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back