What's new

I need some seasoned advice re: SB600 or SB700

StringThing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
228
Reaction score
31
Location
Eastern Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been extensively researching flashes for my entry D3100 and did settle on the SB600 before finding out it was discontinued and getting hard to find. I would have to delay my purchase of the SB700 due to the $120 price difference. My questions are as follows:

1) I have found the SB600 new online for a little over $300 all in, but should I hold out a little longer for the SB700?

2) What are the reasonable chances of Nikon lowering the cost of the 700 down the road?

3) Specs aside, would I be missing out on the 700s added features? I plan to use it mostly for group shots, some portraits, but mostly fill flash.

Your input is appreciated, as always.

Steve
 
Amazon shows the SB-700 at $329... and some used sb600's at $250 and up.

Main thing to look (imo) is full compatibility with CLS.... primarily the Commander functions. As you progress, you may find that useful.. although there are other alternatives, too. The 600 is compatible but only as a remote flash. The 700 has the ability to be a Master flash to control other remotes, which is really handy for multi-flash lighting.
 
SB700 have better range in feature of flashes, since it's the "consumer version" of SB900. The main problem of SB700 is, the hardness of it's control button, which very distracting for people who usually do the works on the field like me.
Both flash have wireless feature, but SB600 cannot be used for master the wireless, and the range for the light is not as strong as the upper class for strobist feature.

In the comparison case, i would go to SB600, but If you're going for a better quality, i would recommend the SB900 instead.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
SB900 is great for master flash but it overheats much more than the SB600 because of the higher power output. I have one of each now and will be either the SB-600 or 700's now.
 
SB-600's can be had in mint condition for ~$200 used. Look on your local trader boards for one or a SB-800 for ~$300
 
I had an SB-600 in the past, and now have an SB-700. I don't use the flash too often, but find the menu system and control buttons significantly more user friendly on the SB-700. Changing the SB-600 from on-camera to wireless stumped me every time!
 
A lot of great advice and info so far. I forgot to mention that I am in Canada and that limits my options quite a bit in matters of shipping. For example, Amazon.com won't ship the flashes I have found to Canada, and a search for the same product on Amazon.ca doesn't have the same product. I think I have decided now that if I can't find a local used SB-600 within the next 2 weeks I will spring for the SB700.

Many thanks for your contributions!
 
Im in canada as well and order from B&H if theCamerastore doesnt have it or Vistek or Kijiji.
 
Thanks very much. Have you had any experience with cameracanada.com?
 
Nope if I can't get it at TheCameraStore in calgary or Vistek I order from B&H. Creature of habit.
 
The SB 600 was nice, but for a very similar price range you can upgrade to the SB700. If I had the money that is the route I would be going.
 
Based on specs, despite "pretty writing" 600 has one HUGE advantage of 700, (just like 800 over 900) it DOESN'T overheat! and that is important feature, at least for me - I don't have to worry about flash frying.
700 and 900 have two advantages over 600 and 800: 1) I feel controls are more intuitive and easier/quicker 2) the 360 degree rotation.
I've used my 600 as off-camera and on-camera - pretty happy with it. I never worked with 700 but held it and played w/ it in the store - if given the choice b/n the two, I'd go for 600.

Good Luck
 
I've only used the SB-600 out of these two. I would definitely get the SB-600 if only for it to not overheat. The last thing you need is to be running around some gathering you need flash and asking someone to hold on while your flash cools down. No way. It works great for anything I need it for, and I've even shot weddings with it. It's a great flash to learn on, and use extensively. Get it and love it. I did, about 2 years ago.

@Christian.Rudman, Nikon doesn't make a 50mm F/1.8 DX.

Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom