I need some tips for a band group picture..

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, My friend asked if I would take some pictures of his band. I'm not getting paid, and he isn't expecting much, but I still want to do a good job. He wants a few pictures of his band in a group, but I've never really done anything like this before. Some advice would be awesome.
I have a 40D, 17-85mm 4.0 and a 50mm 1.8, which means I'll have to do this without flash...
Thanks for any advice!

It all depends on where you are going to shoot.

The problem with your 50mm is that you will probably need a lot of room is you want to whole band in there (unless there are only three of them).

On the other hand, the problem with your zoom is the speed. Though it would be wide enough for a group shoot, you would need to be outside or have good lighting.

So, start with your zoom and if you see that you have enough room to shoot at 50mm, switch for the prime.

Hey deudeu, thanks for the advice on the lenses.

djrichie28, They are going to be posing.. =/

Try getting them to step outside for their photos. I would head out around 6pm and shoot with the golden light of the sun. It should be low enough that you should be able to control harsh shadows and allow the members to not squint. Maybe shoot in some urban like alley with peeling paint or brick walls, etc. Search around on some music websites for different bands to get some posing ideas.

Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back