I want to learn about light

MichelleP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like recommendations on the best ways to learn about light. Books, exercises, whatever you've got. Outside, I understand open shade is the best. I look for the edge of shade closest to the open sky. I take mostly kids and family shots. I'm learning to pay attention to the direction of light and how to use things to reflect it. Any suggestions about the best ways to learn about light?

I would like recommendations on the best ways to learn about light. Books, exercises, whatever you've got. Outside, I understand open shade is the best. I look for the edge of shade closest to the open sky. I take mostly kids and family shots. I'm learning to pay attention to the direction of light and how to use things to reflect it. Any suggestions about the best ways to learn about light?

You already know some of the secrets professionals have known for decades. Here is a book that I know a person like you can use to learn a lot from. There are a few key words in your post that make me know that you will understand this book's lessons.

Monte Zucker's Portrait Photography Handbook: Monte Zucker: 9781584282136: Amazon.com: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your title touches upon an advance photographic foundation.

I found my photography really improved when I started to see the light. Look at the light, not what is being reflected off your subject ... look hard at the light which is hitting the subject. See that light ... embrace the light ... even taste the light. Seek out and recognize the differences in light.

Read, attend classes, watch videos and podcasts, find a mentor ... just remember that it is all and ultimately up to your vision to see what others suggest and move up the photographic learning curve.

Everyday, think about light and look at the light. It is probably better in the beginning not to use a camera. Look at the clean light hitting the subject. See that light, quantify that light, previsualize in your mind images, photographs captured with that light. When you learn to look at light, you will soon find yourself looking for light.

Don't ever forget that light is everything (period).

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

The things you will learn from Zucker's instruction are how to pose people, and what angles to shoot from. Basic human body poses have remained the same for centuries. The camera placements, and the way the people are posed in relation to both the light, and the camera's position, are the things Zucker's work is really focused on. For families and couples and individuals, just knowing the basic camera positions, and the views of the face, will really help your work.

We see a lot of full face and square-shouldered stuff all over the internet, because cheap stock photos are everywhere. Some of the stuff you'll find on the world wide web and on YouTube is really not that helpful, and some of it is downright harmful. A week ago I was watching this video and a guy was showing a really crappy split lighting setup, and claiming it was "Rembrandt lighting".

What do you know about the technical side of photography? Lighting can open up a whole new creative world, but it takes some technical know how as well and isn't generally as easy as using the green box mode, AKA: Instaphotographer mode.

You should know the basics of being able to operate your camera in manual mode and adjusting aperture, ISO, and shutter speed to get a correct exposure and how to then adjust those settings to expose to the left or right. Then you need to learn about how flashes work and the technical side to them, otherwise it becomes a guessing game of constantly moving lights around and fiddling with setting to get what you hope is a good photo, rather than setting the lights where you want them and changing the camera settings to get the photo you're envisioning.

How refreshing to see a thread like this,someone interested in learning the single most important aspect of photography.
I don't have enough experience to start dispensing internet advice,but Gary A and Derrel gave you a good start for sure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you all! I shoot in manual - just within the last 6 months. I'm trying to learn where to meter to get the best exposure. I am trying to observe light in my everyday doings, but I'm looking for more insight in what to look for. Like I will see late afternoon light that I think is awesome, but when I place a subject there and take the pic it's still more harsh than i thought - that's just an example. I will check out those books thanks!

Also I have not yet dug into flash photography. I have a speed light but don't know how to use it in manual yet. It's on my list of things to learn but I'm a busy mom and just now feeling comfortable in manual.

I would like recommendations on the best ways to learn about light
My first thought is to recommend the book 'Light: Science & Magic'. Someone already linked to it, so I won't bother.

It's a very technical, scientific approach to lighting, and deal with a lot of 'product photography' type scenarios...but understanding the fundamentals can certainly make anyone a better portrait photographer.

Also I have not yet dug into flash photography. I have a speed light but don't know how to use it in manual yet. It's on my list of things to learn but I'm a busy mom and just now feeling comfortable in manual.

Too bad you don't live around here. I teach classes on shooting in manual, using light, using flash etc. You sound like you would be a good student...you are asking the right questions anyway.

I would suggest looking around your area for some classes you might take. Community colleges are usually a good place to start, although many photographers are offering classes on their own as well.

Most students tell me that they learned more in 12 hours (4 classes) than they did with months or years of reading books & websites etc.

Reactions: TJC
I agree with the recommendation of Light: Science & Magic. I just purchased it after reading through some older posts on the forum looking for recommendations on how to use lighting/recognize good and bad lighting. I'm not very far into it but have learned a lot so far. Like you I currently have a speedlight but to be honest have only used once while playing around with smoke pictures. I really want to learn how to use it properly but also lack the time (unless I want to learn at midnight when I really should be sleeping)

One of the best single resource I know of for off camera lighting is here:
Strobist: Lighting 101

It's about using small hot shoe flashes off camera, but the information can be translated in to any size light. It teaches gear and techniques. The only reason I was hesitant to post it earlier is that you need some understanding of how a manual flash works in order to effectively use this information. That's why I stated that without that knowledge, it turns in to a bit of a crap shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back