I wish I could do this justice.

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moonbow2.jpg

This was taken at Cumberland Falls, Kentucky and is a pic of 1 of natures rarest and freakiest events...a Moonbow.

A moonbow id a rainbow from moonlight. It can occur naturally anywhere but is exceedingly rare. Only two places on Earth have Moonbows which occur on a regular basis and this is one of them, the other being Victoria Falls in Africa. Nobody knows for sure why these two places are it, but in part at least it is because they both are a good amount above sea level with fairly pristine waters and at a good distance from major smog or night light concentrations (cities).

To view a Moonbow requires clear skies and a full Moon plus a little patience. It takes a while to get your night vision up to speed so that you can see it at all, once you can it is a magical sight of beauty that is not easily put into words.

It is devilishly difficult to photograph as well. This is my third attempt and each time I seem to get a little closer. If you ever want to try it let me tell you that the long exposures required eliminate modern electronic cameras and digital is a waste of time.

LWW

Fw135f3.jpg

Photos taken with a Nikon F and 135 mm f3.5 lens with Fuji 1600 with verrrrry long exposures.

As you can see exposures were long enough that reciprocity failure became a bit of an issue.

LWW

I saw one of these once when I was kid. We were in the middle of the desert after a rainstorm, full moon like you said, no colors, just different graytones... It was one of the neatest things I have ever seen. I can't imagine trying to capture it on film... good luck!

The colors are there, it just takes country dark and letting your eyes adjust to pull them out.

They do show better on film as far as brightness of color. Obviously there aren't a lot of photons to work with.

LWW

Wow, that's a really interesting event to see!

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

You might want to try a slower film, from what I've heard...slower film performs much better for long exposure times. There are a few around here that have done a fair bit of experimenting with this...maybe they will chime in.

Moonbow5.jpg

Here is a 3200 speed B/W image that shows things clearer.

LWW

DuPontLodge.jpg

This is the DuPont Lodge at the falls. It is about 100 rooms plus maybe 50 cabins plus campgrounds.

Rooms are under $50 offseason, a little more in season, cabins statrt at around $60 if I remember for the ones built by the CCC during the depression, they are old but all fully modern in their acoutrements (A/C-phone-TV-stove-refrigerator-indoor plumbing) and the newer ones (1980's) are under $150.

If you want someplace to do something it is the wrong place to go. If you want to step back in time, not be bothered by the modern world, and have a myriad of great photo ops there is no better place.

The lodge was built by the DuPont family (paint people) of Louisville and later acquired by the commonwealth of Kentucky.

Hiking trails are abundant and guided tours are free. Large outdoor pool. Great fishing. A wonderful place in a wonderful area of the country. People who go there often have kept it a secret so it doesn't become another tourist trap.

I have played chess in the lounge there with Telly Savalas and had breakfast with a member of the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth and been able to see them as real people who were there for the same tranquility I was.

LWW

DuPont01.jpg

This is the DuPont Lodge entry way.

LWW

CumberlandRiver01.jpg

This is the view from the 4 star restauant that overlooks the Cumberland River.

Nothing fancy on the menu, good American country cooking, an awesome view, and the best catfish you will ever eat.

LWW

DuPont02.jpg

This is a shot of the lobby to the lodge.

LWW

DuPont03.jpg

This is the other side of the lobby.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back