Icecicles

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We are under a level 2 and 3 snow emergency and I've pretty much been homebound all week...getting very bored around here.

So...I thought I'd try some (what I think are called) macro shots of some icecicles on a bush outside.

I tried one using Manual and the other using Aperture priority.
Both shot at f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125.

C&C please. Was this done right?

3237231196_6bf05aa291_b.jpg

3237230844_f933b5b9fc_b.jpg

not bad, but you wanna take photos from a vantage point not normally seen by our eye. It looks like you bent over and bit and took the pic looking down on it right? Which makes it more of a snap shot than a creative photo, which is fine. Try getting lower and shooting more level with the subject to achieve to DOF i think you're going for or just shooting from a different angle you normally wouldnt see for a pic of this type

I was trying to accomplish a macro type mode I guess where the focus is on something and the background is kinda blurred out.

That was as far as I could get down because we have about 6-8 inches of snow and this bush is right outside my garage door, which has even more against it because of the wind and drift.

I agree that it would be a better shot if I could get lower, but it's freezing out and I'm not about to lay in snow. :( Did I mention I hate winter? :thumbdown:

Maybe I'll try to remove some of the snow and get down farther. Our snow shovel broke the other day due to the massive ice (about 1-2" under the snow). I just needed to thaw out a little.

trust me im right there with you with the winter hate, i was in the woods yesterday trying to hold an umbrella and shoot frozen pine cones as it was raining and sleeting

i have some friends from columbus OH10

trust me im right there with you with the winter hate, i was in the woods yesterday trying to hold an umbrella and shoot frozen pine cones as it was raining and sleeting

i have some friends from columbus OH10

Now that's dedication. I wish I could adventure off, but I have a baby and can't take her with me. Otherwise, I'd try it. I know of a couple of places I would love to go get some winter shots of.

I tried one using Manual and the other using Aperture priority.
Both shot at f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125.
Was the ISO different for those two shots then? The exposure is different, the 2nd one is brighter, so I would think that something changed.

I was trying to accomplish a macro type mode I guess where the focus is on something and the background is kinda blurred out.
Having the background (or even the foreground) blurred is not necessarily 'macro'. It's the effect you get with a shallow DOF (depth of field).

Macro basically means close up. True macro is when your reproduction ratio is 1:1...meaning that the size of the image on the film or sensor is life size. On your camera, that would mean that something like a nickle would take up the entire photo. You typically need a macro lens or some sort of accessory to get true macro photos.

When shooting macro, you are usually very close to the subject, and when you are close to the subject, your DOF will usually be very small...which is why the background is usually blurred with macro photos.

I agree with cosmo, try shooting level with the object, off to the side, hell maybe even below the icicles, go wild! Not bad pictures though, glad to see someones making the best of the crappy midwest weather.

Was the ISO different for those two shots then? The exposure is different, the 2nd one is brighter, so I would think that something changed.

My ISO was set to 100 on both

Having the background (or even the foreground) blurred is not necessarily 'macro'. It's the effect you get with a shallow DOF (depth of field).

Macro basically means close up. True macro is when your reproduction ratio is 1:1...meaning that the size of the image on the film or sensor is life size. On your camera, that would mean that something like a nickle would take up the entire photo. You typically need a macro lens or some sort of accessory to get true macro photos.

When shooting macro, you are usually very close to the subject, and when you are close to the subject, your DOF will usually be very small...which is why the background is usually blurred with macro photos.

I know that macro means close up, however I didn't know exactly how close up or the DOF part...so I wasn't sure.

I have a lens that I just bought (Minolta 100-300mm) that has a setting on it that (I think??) goes into macro. It's a blue area past the normal numbers that says M and 1.5 to 2m on it. Is this a macra setting for this lens? Or does it have to be a macro only lens? I have yet to be able to get it to focus this close up. :(

I agree with cosmo, try shooting level with the object, off to the side, hell maybe even below the icicles, go wild! Not bad pictures though, glad to see someones making the best of the crappy midwest weather.

Tree (bush) is only about 16" tall to begin with and sitting in a built flower bed (which is how I was able to get down that far). :lol:

I H A T E T H E W I N T E R C O L D! :grumpy:

I have a lens that I just bought (Minolta 100-300mm) that has a setting on it that (I think??) goes into macro. It's a blue area past the normal numbers that says M and 1.5 to 2m on it. Is this a macra setting for this lens? Or does it have to be a macro only lens? I have yet to be able to get it to focus this close up.
A lot of lens makers use 'macro' as a sales tool...and label the close end of the focus range as macro. Most of them can't do real macro though...and might only get a ratio of 1:4 or something like that. Call it what you want, it doesn't really matter...the result is a photo either way.

Each lens will have a minimum focus distance, and you won't be able to focus the lens any closer than that. Most macro lenses are basically the same as normal lenses (and can be used as such) but their minimum focus distance is smaller.

I think you're trying for a shallow depth of field (DOF) picture. There are several things to keep in mind when trying to keep the main subject in focus and have the background out of focus. You want to use the largest aperture opening you can, you want to use the longest focal length you can, you want to get very close to the subject and you want the subject far from the background.

Well hello there, fancy meetin' you here :lol:

Just wanted to add a note about composition - the icicles are dead center of the frame, which just irks the hec out of me. Sometimes it's the way to go, no doubt; but try moving the subject around in the frame as well, so we get a feel for the context. Or could even just leave it negative/empty space, that works pretty well sometimes, could draw your eye to the subject more and emphasize it. As always though, the best way to learn is to ask a lot of questions and shoot a lot of pictures!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back