I'm getting a new camera, but which?

buy a d5000 body, and the sigma 18-50 f2.8hsm lens. itll run u around 1100. but itll be sick!

Hands down solution is better (faster glass). If you cannot exactly pin down why your D40 is limiting your photography, then it is not limiting you at all. Slap some nice glass on that camera, and marvel at what "pro" glass can do for you. Not only can you get faster shutter speeds/ lower ISO settings because of a larger aperture, but generally you also get better colors and contrast with the better glass. I shoot Canon, but I can tell you that entry level bodies can take marvelous photos in the right hands.

It would be a different story if your post read something like...."my D40's autofocus system cannot track race horses" (or something to that effect), where you know for sure that you need an upgrade requiring a specific need. I would keep the D40 and put that 1300 bucks towards some nice glass. If not the 70-200, perhaps a couple of nice primes. Don't forget the many benefits of prime lenses.

too bad you need about another $600 to get any fast glass from Nikkor.
24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 are both at $1900 right now. however, i'd agree that faster glass is your solution. i haven't used it personally, but i've read a lot of good reviews on the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8.

Most reactions

Back