I'm really surprised that nobody made a thread about...

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...The new 24mm f/1.4 and 16-35 f/4 VR!

Nikon got 2 lenses right this time, BIG TIME.

I'll be picking up that 24G as soon as it's out, replace my 24-120 VR, not to mention wide angle with shallow DOF.....i bet it's just remarkable, especially for night photography! Been waiting almost 5 years for Nikon to make a fast 24mm. Finally it's here!

the 16-35 is neat, i'm sure it will interest alot more people than a 24 1.4, i'd rather have my wide angle be taken up by a lumix 7-14 though i think.

We were all waiting on YOU to make the thread.

The new 24mm f/1.4 seems to have lovely bokeh, as seen in this street photo taken by Bob Krist, one of the lucky few shooters Nikon allowed to shoot a pre-release sample.

http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Miami_10_01239-2-copy1.jpg

Look at the way the lens renders out of focus specular highlights, like on the lights, as well as the way the focus transitions from the zone of sharpest focus to the out of focus zones. Looks pretty nice! And yes, it probably will be good for night shooting; Nikon invented the Nano Crystal anti-reflective coating system, which does an amazing job with light that come in at grazing angles,and although some might think it's just a "name", the Nano Crystal technology really is a huge advance in lens coatings.

Quite the price tag, though.

*cough*becausenooneusesNikon*cough*
Wide angle image stabilisation actually is not a bad idea.

Now, if Canon made a 16-35mm f/2.8 IS...

I think Nikon put them up on the site sometime after midnight est. They weren't up last night when I checked around 11:30.

But yea, much anticipated lenses. Now they just need to release the D4 :D and I just might be tempted to go FX.

We were all waiting on YOU to make the thread.

The new 24mm f/1.4 seems to have lovely bokeh, as seen in this street photo taken by Bob Krist, one of the lucky few shooters Nikon allowed to shoot a pre-release sample.

http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Miami_10_01239-2-copy1.jpg

Look at the way the lens renders out of focus specular highlights, like on the lights, as well as the way the focus transitions from the zone of sharpest focus to the out of focus zones. Looks pretty nice! And yes, it probably will be good for night shooting; Nikon invented the Nano Crystal anti-reflective coating system, which does an amazing job with light that come in at grazing angles,and although some might think it's just a "name", the Nano Crystal technology really is a huge advance in lens coatings.

It's going to be awesome for environmental portraiture, the fast aperture will really help with focusing at night when using live view, and for normal landscape shooting, i bet it could just cut glass at f/8. three key things my 24-120VR will never do. Not to mention it's smaller too. After getting the 50G and the lumix 20 1.7, i got hooked on primes.

I believe I'm going to sell the motorcycle for this one.

I'm definitely excited for the 16-35. Far better option for me when I upgrade to full frame Instead of the 17-35 2.8 which is around $600 dollars more. The constant f/4 is of no big deal since it'd be used primarily for landscapes. I'm anxious for reviews on both lenses

I'm definitely excited for the 16-35. Far better option for me when I upgrade to full frame Instead of the 17-35 2.8 which is around $600 dollars more. The constant f/4 is of no big deal since it'd be used primarily for landscapes. I'm anxious for reviews on both lenses
agreed, and i don'tknow if it's because i'm unlucky, but every 17-35 i've used has really squeaky AF.

The 16-35 looks interesting, I just don't understand why it has VR. You would think that the f/4 wide zoom would be a lighter cheaper alternative to the 17-35. Leaving out VR would have cut some weight and price. I appears some of the 14-24 shooters will be making the switch to the new 16-35 which is understandable.

Glad to see you nikon guys/gals getting a nice fast wide. Darn expensive, but so are most of Nikons new releases. But for those that can afford it, congrats!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back