Im stuck..60D or T2i

troper24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide for a while now, between the Lower end T2I and supposed better 60d. I held both in my hand and in terms of specs the 60d's plastic body and performance does not have that much more to offer than the T2I..I want a dslr that I can grow into as this is my first dslr. My friend a pro. photographer mentioned that i should only go magnesium but more and more all I see is plastic bodies unless I hit the $1600+ mark..

Is the 60d worth the extra $400 over the T2i?

-Is there any other camera I should look at canon or nikon that would give me room to grow into without killing more than $1500?

thanks!

I have been trying to decide for a while now, between the Lower end T2I and supposed better 60d. I held both in my hand and in terms of specs the 60d's plastic body and performance does not have that much more to offer than the T2I..I want a dslr that I can grow into as this is my first dslr. My friend a pro. photographer mentioned that i should only go magnesium but more and more all I see is plastic bodies unless I hit the $1600+ mark..

Is the 60d worth the extra $400 over the T2i?

-Is there any other camera I should look at canon or nikon that would give me room to grow into without killing more than $1500?

thanks!

Nikon D7000 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

arguably the best cropped sensor body available today. $1200 retail for the body.

If you are sticking with Canon, a used 40D and 50D are both good cameras. 40D can be picked up used from about $450 and a 50D for about $750 (at least that is what I sold my 50D for). If Nikon is an option the D90 and D3100 are viable options. The D3100 +kit is less than $600 which gives you the option of picking up another lens. Just some food for thought.

I do like the Nikon d7000.. how reliable are they, i have heard some bad things about dead pixels??

--I wouldn't mind the 50d but I just find it hard to spend $1k on an older model while its already been replaced with one that shoots 1080 p hd which I also value even though the main purpose is photography.

The dead pixel issue was only in video and only visible during low light recording. Not all have them. You can have them remapped if it really bothers you. Mine doesn't have that issue and I don't really shoot video.

Welcome to the forum.

My friend a pro. photographer mentioned that i should only go magnesium
Did they offer any specific reason or proof for that advice? OK, sure...the metal body does have it's advantages, but I've never even heard of one of these plastic bodies breaking in a situation where a metal body would have been OK. It you drop it hard enough to destroy the plastic body, the metal bodied camera would likely have plenty of damage in the same situation.

I've been sitting in on a class for people who are just learning to use their DSLR cameras. I've got a fellow with a brand new 60D in front of me and 5 Rebels right around us. The 60D is clearly a more advanced camera, and the articulating screen is actually pretty neat.

When the 60D first came out, I was disappointed and would have preferred the older 50D...but now I'm not so sure.

i suggest you go hold each camera for a while. they are very different in your hand. the 60d is a larger body. if you have bigger hands, the T2i will feel small and possibly even cramp your hands. the size alone would make my decision the 60D, but that is purely my personal preference. but, there is no substitute for holding each one side by side and seeing which feels better in your hand. if nikon is the option, do the same with the nikons you are looking at side by side with the canons. i think a camera being comfortable to hold is every bit as important as it's performance.

i suggest you go hold each camera for a while. they are very different in your hand. the 60d is a larger body. if you have bigger hands, the T2i will feel small and possibly even cramp your hands. the size alone would make my decision the 60D, but that is purely my personal preference. but, there is no substitute for holding each one side by side and seeing which feels better in your hand. if nikon is the option, do the same with the nikons you are looking at side by side with the canons. i think a camera being comfortable to hold is every bit as important as it's performance.
On that same point; the 60D, while larger than the Rebel, is smaller than the 50D or 7D etc.

Also, the button layout and general ergonomics are different. The Rebels have fewer buttons (to make it less confusing :scratch: ) while the higher bodies have more buttons for quicker access to change your settings etc. With the Rebels, you would have to go into the menu for things that can be accessed with a button on the 60D etc.

I agree that if Nikon is an option, that you should give the D7000 some consideration. My problem with the 60D and 7D is this: You are cramming the highest pixel count of any crop sensor camera onto Canon's smallest sensor! I'm not trying to start a war by saying this, but I have a friend with a 7d, and she is totally UNsatisfied by the low light performance. If she is getting noisy images with the 7D, you are going to get them with a 60d due to the fact that the image components are the same.... Just food for thought.

I'm not trying to start a war by saying this, but I have a friend with a 7d, and she is totally UNsatisfied by the low light performance. If she is getting noisy images with the 7D, you are going to get them with a 60d due to the fact that the image components are the same.... Just food for thought.

I do a lot of night photography and have 0 complaints about noisy images. I do get a bit at ISO6400 but come on....

I'm not trying to start a war by saying this, but I have a friend with a 7d, and she is totally UNsatisfied by the low light performance. If she is getting noisy images with the 7D, you are going to get them with a 60d due to the fact that the image components are the same.... Just food for thought.

I do a lot of night photography and have 0 complaints about noisy images. I do get a bit at ISO6400 but come on....

everybody has their "standard" on what's acceptable noise. So it's hard to compare ones person view from another.

I have held a 60d in my hands and have to agree that it is larger than the T2i and feels more fitting but the componets don't have that positive feeling that reflect on it's price.

-Am I right when I say that compared to other cameras in its range such as the d7000??

everybody has their "standard" on what's acceptable noise. So it's hard to compare ones person view from another.

Very true, to each his own. I shouldn't really comment, considering I honestly have any experience on either camera. But I can say this, I have done some shooting on the new D7000, and I can't see how the 60d could be placed ahead of it in ANY category.

Is there anyone who has used the 60d? I tried to use it in my local shop but the display was not working. To my it seemed more pro orientated while that polycarbonate body held it back in quality.

-I know I'd be spending at least 1000-1200 on camera but at 1500+ the d7000 just leaves me no room for lens options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back