I'm volunteering at the local pub

I plan on volunteering at a local pub as a cocktail taster/liquor critic...newbie barkeeps will mix drinks, and I will drink them and give feedback. All for free!

Oh, yes! Many years of it! LOVE it! It's the cheapest form of entertainment I have ever found! I got PAID to have these drunks entertain me!!!! It's a riot!

I started watching the first episode of the Britisk "The Office" without subtitles. That was really hard! I don't normally need subs, whether it's brits of americans, but those guys had a really broad accent.

I consider both brits and americans English speakers... :)

The US version of The Office was excellent. It wouldn't have been as good had the creators tried to recycle the same humour/social dynamics of the UK one. I prefer the American version...it's more developed.

Re: English language. Apart from problems with accent/dialect, there is also the shear volume of vocabulary that's on tap - a million+ words that aren't even slang words. A lot of that is English fading out of use (and mostly unknown/untaught to international language students). It would be fully understood by Brits and Americans alike..but only used natively within the flow of discussion. If we chose our words carefully, even with a clear voice you wouldn't understand what we were saying :)

Considering I've helped Brits get understood in DC, please come on over and try your French here...

BTW, I don't think the Brits think Americans speak english :)

Actually those from Cannes, understand me quite well, but then I can speak Parisien French as well as Canadian French.

skieur

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back