Images from the Aleutians, ca. 1980

Gardyloo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been scanning old slides for some time now and thought some of these pictures from the Aleutian region of Alaska might be of interest. I worked in the area for several years, but only took my camera with me a few times, so the collection is not as extensive as I'd like, but it is what it is.

The pictures were mostly taken with a Nikkormat FT, using typically a 43-86mm Nikkor macro-zoom or a 105mm Nikkor short tele lens, usually on Kodachrome 64 media. Some of the colors and contrast are less than ideal due to the film discoloring and fading in the 40 years since they were taken, but hopefully the subject matter is interesting. I've also converted some to B&W due to more extensive fading or color shifts.

The Grumman Goose that I "commuted" on extensively, shown here on the beach at King Cove, Alaska.

PICT0005a2.jpg

The old Russian Orthodox church (ca. 1820) and the priest's house in Unalaska (aka Dutch Harbor)

PICT0678a.jpg

The old Orthodox cemetery on a hillside

PICT0656a.jpg

WW II buildings, Unalaska. The town was bombed by the Japanese but never invaded. The local residents, mostly Native Aleuts, were forcibly relocated to internment camps during the military occupation.

PICT0303a.jpg

PICT0687a.jpg

Fish processors at Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, before the town became popularized on the Deadliest Catch TV series.

PICT2882a.jpg

PICT2887a.jpg

akscot-012a.jpg

Scenes from Akutan Island

Akutan Bay from the head of the bay - we were looking for a site to install a micro-hydro generation plant; at the time the village's electric supply (DC, not AC) came from a 60 year old Pelton wheel.

PICT2829a.jpg

PICT2831a.jpg

Floating processors and fishing boats in Akutan Bay

PICT2842a.jpg

PICT2851a.jpg

Akutan village scenes

PICT2854a.jpg

PICT2968a.jpg

PICT2858a.jpg

Old Russian Orthodox church, Akutan

PICT0605a.jpg

The icon over the door

PICT2967a.jpg

Real nice set of old pics. My fav. it the village with the boardwalk in the fg.

Interesting set. Thanks for sharing.

What fantastic images to have captured all those years ago and still have now. The old orthodox cemetery on a hillside shot is wonderful in B&W

Most reactions

New Topics

Back