Imagine the view from this window....

Honestly, I don't think this effect works on the picture. You went overboard with the B&W and drained the color from the sky above the rock... Not good.

ive liked making framing a picture with something but this seems to be too much frame and not enough picture for me.

Honestly, I don't think this effect works on the picture. You went overboard with the B&W and drained the color from the sky above the rock... Not good.

Thank you both. I am just displaying my painful ignorance of photography. I think it looks a bit better after a crop.

La Ventana by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

I actually like the first one minus the black & white. If you have a chance to retake the shot, my only adjustment would be to move forward to get a bit less of the wall and more of the 'view' in frame.

I feel different people have different tastes; i really liked the image and my feeling was ditto to Mjhoward.

So regards :D

It's so subjective isn't it? I wanted to be able to tell a story, but don't have the talent to do so effectively. There is a derelict ruin of a property on the shore of this reservoir. Totally ruined, and I wanted to portray the destroyed nature of it with the help of the black and white. BUT at some point it existed, and what a view they had! I wanted to capture the beauty of that view, hence the introduction of colour.

That was the idea anyway :D

I feel different people have different tastes; i really liked the image and my feeling was ditto to Mjhoward.

So regards :D

It's so subjective isn't it? I wanted to be able to tell a story, but don't have the talent to do so effectively. There is a derelict ruin of a property on the shore of this reservoir. Totally ruined, and I wanted to portray the destroyed nature of it with the help of the black and white. BUT at some point it existed, and what a view they had! I wanted to capture the beauty of that view, hence the introduction of colour.

That was the idea anyway :D

If you've ever told the same story to several different people at different times, you may have noticed that your telling the story became better over time--Practice and development.

Something to think about: In this shot, are you telling one story or two?

Story one- the ruin of the building along the shore of a reservoir. I may have pulled back to show more of both, the building and its relationship to the reservoir.

Story two- the view from the window. The building is depleted, but the view remains the same. I may have shot closer, and vertically, to tell that story.

If your thoughts when shooting include the word 'and', you may be trying to tell two stories at once. Confusing. Focus.

Yes, it's all subjective.

-

If you've ever told the same story to several different people at different times, you may have noticed that your telling the story became better over time--Practice and development.

Yes, it's all subjective.

-

The above is so true, over time you will get better and have more experience with your ability to present the story you have in mind.

Most reactions

Back