Impending Newborn photo session and other opps-advice requested

jd64848704

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I went out and purchased a camera that the shop sales rep stated would fit my needs. I got a Canon Powershot SX150 IS. She mentioned that because it would go manual, it will be a good starter camera for my learning process and meets photography course requirements (keep in mind I am taking a couple of starter classes to see if this is something I plan to delve into more seriously). Therefore, I didn't want to go overboard with cost if I don't end up sticking with photography. If I really get into it, there's always tax season for a pro camera :)

Anyhow, I am attending 2 baby showers for a good friend/coworker (one at work and the other that her family is throwing at a country club). I would like to take my new camera along and take some memorable shots that I will have printed and make into an album for her (a 2nd gift that will come later). Any suggestions here are appreciated... I want to make it memorable for my friend. I plan on doing some online research later to see what else I can dig up on ideas.

She has also asked if I would take pictures of her newborn once he arrives! She has hired a professional (whew!), but knows I want to get some experience and I love the idea of snapping pics of a baby :) so I will be taking some extras for her in an informal session! I plan on spending the afternoon at her home and just capturing what the pro doesn't get.

I would like to know of any prop/shot advice that you could recommend. I want to take some neat artistic pictures and would love some ideas and how to achieve them. As I said, my camera will go into manual mode, so I can adjust aperture and ISO. :)

Any advice is majorly welcomed. I still have about 5 weeks but I would like to start gearing up now and really planning it and thinking the shoot through. I get to use these shots for a portfolio :)

Thank you!

You are going to have trouble shooting indoors with that camera iso800 and above is awful on that camera

jd64848704 said:
Hi everyone,

I went out and purchased a camera that the shop sales rep stated would fit my needs. I got a Canon Powershot SX150 IS. She mentioned that because it would go manual, it will be a good starter camera for my learning process and meets photography course requirements (keep in mind I am taking a couple of starter classes to see if this is something I plan to delve into more seriously). Therefore, I didn't want to go overboard with cost if I don't end up sticking with photography. If I really get into it, there's always tax season for a pro camera :)

Anyhow, I am attending 2 baby showers for a good friend/coworker (one at work and the other that her family is throwing at a country club). I would like to take my new camera along and take some memorable shots that I will have printed and make into an album for her (a 2nd gift that will come later). Any suggestions here are appreciated... I want to make it memorable for my friend. I plan on doing some online research later to see what else I can dig up on ideas.

She has also asked if I would take pictures of her newborn once he arrives! She has hired a professional (whew!), but knows I want to get some experience and I love the idea of snapping pics of a baby :) so I will be taking some extras for her in an informal session! I plan on spending the afternoon at her home and just capturing what the pro doesn't get.

I would like to know of any prop/shot advice that you could recommend. I want to take some neat artistic pictures and would love some ideas and how to achieve them. As I said, my camera will go into manual mode, so I can adjust aperture and ISO. :)

Any advice is majorly welcomed. I still have about 5 weeks but I would like to start gearing up now and really planning it and thinking the shoot through. I get to use these shots for a portfolio :)

Thank you!

Why didn't you go with a dslr?

jd64848704 said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Does your camera also have aperture and shutter priority modes?

I would do some research of exposure and lighting. Read the cameras manual - if it doesn't explain something then look it up. 5 weeks isn't a whole lot of time but you should be able to get a decent grasp of exposure.

For newborn photography - a lot of the really cool, stylish, popular shots are composites. They can be very dangerous to try if you don't know what you are doing. ***shots of babies with their heads in their hands, babies wrapped and hanging from something, babies inside vases and other objects that babies don't normally go - a few examples of composites and/or dangerous shots. Safety should always come first with newborns!

I would look up some newborn photography though to get some ideas. There are some basic newborn poses that moms always love. Lifestyle type shots. You don't really need props for newborn photography. Cute blankets in solid colors - no busy designs. A lot of newborn photographers have a newborn nest/shoot sack. It's a fairly large sized bean bag ottoman type thing. It's flat on top and bottom and overstuffed with beans to make it firm. Or instead of spending the money on that you can use a bed with a boopy pillow covered with blankets.

It's easier to photograph newborns when they are asleep. Usually you'd have the mom feed the baby right before you get there. Make sure baby stays warm - if your sweating the baby is comfy. If your doing naked shots of the baby make sure the diaper is off for a while otherwise you'll have little diaper marks.

Why didn't you go with a dslr?[/QUOTE]

Well, the SX150IS has a lot of features that are typical to the SLR Canon line, so you get some benefits. I also liked that this one will go manual in case I want to get in depth with photography (which I am interested in).

Plus, I am not photographing professionally. It's something I enjoy doing and am really just beginning to try and learn the detail orient and technical procedures.

If I were going to pursue photography as a serious money making venture, I would invest in the pricier professional equipment. However, at this point I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a hobby that I may decide isn't right for me. At least this way I still have a nice point and shoot and I'm only out about $200 instead of $600 plus accessories. :)

jd64848704 said:
Why didn't you go with a dslr?

Well, the SX150IS has a lot of features that are typical to the SLR Canon line, so you get some benefits. I also liked that this one will go manual in case I want to get in depth with photography (which I am interested in).

Plus, I am not photographing professionally. It's something I enjoy doing and am really just beginning to try and learn the detail orient and technical procedures.

If I were going to pursue photography as a serious money making venture, I would invest in the pricier professional equipment. However, at this point I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a hobby that I may decide isn't right for me. At least this way I still have a nice point and shoot and I'm only out about $200 instead of $600 plus accessories. :)[/QUOTE]

I know very little about the P&S capabilities so I was just curious as you mentioned about a portfolio in your first post.:) good luck on shooting a newborn! You are much braver than me.:)

Just to clear it up, entry level DSLR's are in no way professional anything.

This camera is awesome, has magical flash sync powers with it's electronic shutter, and is only $294.
Used Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixels Digital Slr Camera With 18-55 Lens
I'd swap.

But if not, then.... just make sure you have really good lighting, don't use your pop up, use an appropriate shutter, and get down to the babies eye level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back