What's new

Impressionists and abstract

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
18,743
Reaction score
8,049
Location
Mid-Atlantic US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p614410558-5.jpg
 
Sorry, but to me it is just an out of focus image. Besides that, it is some people looking at a painting, of which I don't understand the style. You have some good pictures on your site, but this just doesn't do anything for me. Sorry.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #3
It is an abstract painting and I did my best to turn the girls into an imprerssionist's view of colorfully clad people.
Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.
 
Last edited:
I get it and I love the concept, but the colors are just a bit too bold for my tastes.
 
I like the concept. Here's what would have made it more effective from my perception...the wall (which looks orange and therefore suggests bad artificial lighting and therefore implies a weak shot rather than an intentionally abstract shot). Correct for that (a truer white) and I think this concept would be more successful.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
I like the concept. Here's what would have made it more effective from my perception...the wall (which looks orange and therefore suggests bad artificial lighting and therefore implies a weak shot rather than an intentionally abstract shot). Correct for that (a truer white) and I think this concept would be more successful.

Interesting idea.
I will go back to ground zero with this and mask out the wall after fixing the color tint and see how it looks.
 
What makes this a good photo? What makes a good cup of coffee "good"? Café Diem | coffee philosophy: De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

I see exactly what you set out to accomplish in this photo. It works, mostly. The idea is conveyed, but for me, the white balance hurts this, I think. I don't really mind a bit of yellowish color to indoor artificial light, since it conveys a sort of photographic or "camera-vision" to indoor light. We've all seen many photos over the years in which artificial light appears yellow, and the colors of objects are skewed by the way a camera tends to "see" artificial tungsten or incandescent light.

It's interesting that the very small "bokeh ball" just to the left of the taller woman's head, with it's sharp-sided diaphragm rendering is what gives this picture the tell-tale sign that it's not a watercolor or drawing or painting, but a PHOTOGRAPH! It's a very small thing as part of the whole, but the edges of the diaphragm blades are the ONLY THING that is rendered sharply! Were it not for that one, tiny, small photographic artifact, this could be seen as a drawing or painting. And I think that's kind of neat.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
I went back to the beginning and found that 'correcting' the color really made this a bland mess.
So I kept the original and toned down the vibrance and saturation a bit and removed the hint of the lens blades.

?

p1008752779-5.jpg
 
I love this image, both concept and execution. The color balance works for me to reinforce the "looking at art in a museum" theme. I don't think this will work as well with the wall shown as white. To me, the color of the wall is "right," as is the out-of-focus rendition of the art viewers.

"That's why they sell vanilla, chocolate and strawberry."
 
Interesting! With the bokeh ball removed, this looks MUCH more like a painted image! In fact, I bet if this were printed on a coarse-textured canvas, that it would look like an impressionistic styled painting. If it had a title that suggested that, it would fool many people.
 
I took this picture right after seeing a Gary Winogrand retrospective at the National Gallery of Art.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, has impressed me more than seeing a movie interview of him and seeing lots of his images at one time, including many that had never before been exhibited.
He is not easy to appreciate and it takes a bit of work to understand what is going on with him and how he sees.

I feel like someone who has found religion, in a sense.
 
Last edited:
I like the original and the strong colors work well. Very nice.
 
I like the concept. The bokeh of this particular lens and aperture combo isn't great, though. It is giving weird thin little halo outlines to everything that looks mechanical or algorithmic (which it sort of is. Every point transformed to an octagon). A rounder, larger aperture with softer edges (http://jtra.cz/stuff/essays/bokeh/bokeh-type-final.png) would look more like a painting out of focus, I think.

Obviously, the idea strikes you when you're there, and you aren't gonna go buy a lens and come back in 30 seconds. But just saying what might make it better. And it certainly is a photo that COULD be retaken with a little patience and a museum at almost any time.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom