In what situations would you, personally, use a focal length of 50mm?

My 50mm is pretty much my go to lens when I am shooting people and groups. I also find it awesome to use when shooting gigs on and off the stage. While it doesn't have the flexibility of a zoom it makes up for it in speed and use in low light.

At this time, I only have three lenses. I use my 50mm anytime the 24mm is too wide and the 105mm is too long, regardless of the scene.

I use 50mm when in a tight studio or just in general LoL

Hey, hey there's always room for your nifty fifty. It's your little buddy. You may not hang all the time, but you want to he's there!

My 50mm I generally use for pano's and when doing basic stuff like photographing family. It is my go to lens for when I don't want to lug around my much heavier 70-200. It is a great all around lens that allows you to shoot just about anything.

True, but as a prime lens I would never buy a 50mm

Look at it this way. A 50mm lens is a cheap way of shooting in low light without a superhigh ISO with the related noise, and without a tripod. For this reason alone, it is worth its value for some shooters.

skieur

On my FF its used a ton. On my crops its used a ton. It really depends on the situation and space provided. Also the DOF look I want to achieve. Ive shot entire events with just a 50mm on my 5d2 so its definitely usable.

True, but as a prime lens I would never buy a 50mm

Look at it this way. A 50mm lens is a cheap way of shooting in low light without a superhigh ISO with the related noise, and without a tripod. For this reason alone, it is worth its value for some shooters.

skieur

True, but not to me. lol XD

I don't like normal focal lengths. I have a 24mm, a 70-200, and an 85mm so I usually either move closer or farther away. I own an SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 but I don't use it much, mostly because it's MF and I don't trust my eyes, but also because I find the angle of view to be "meh."

I'm completely in love with the 85mm though. It does have more compress the background more, but it just has a really cinematic quality that I can't really explain - I just like it. lol

I really like my ancient 50/2.0 on my modern crop sensor, too. Almost normal, but a little tighter, a little closer and more intimate.

Also, a damn nice lens.

I like my 50mm 1.8 outdoors, use my 28-75mm 2.8 indoors, so i have more freedom of movement. 50mm is def worth owning.

I like the 50mm for birds. Terrific clarity for getting all the nice little feather details.

We use our 50mm on FF for portraits and in social settings (back yard bbq, christmas morning, etc). We use it for family and group shots at weddings.

Most reactions

Back