Incoming

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_9855-Edit.jpg

I like this, although I think the angle makes it hard to tell what kind of bird it is.

Getting really good shots of birds in flight has to be a tremendous challenge. I have never really tried it at any distance, it just seems like it would be very hard.

They are moving so damn fast, and you may only get one chance.

It's a laughing gull. I wasn't so interested in the image to be able to ID the bird, but I loved the face for the two eyes in the black head staring at me. I also loved the dawn light on the leading edges of the wings.

In truth, getting BIF images IS quite challenging. The larger birds (herons and the like) tend to be more predictable in flight and you can set yourself up to get them. The smaller songbirds are a royal pain because they flit from one branch to the next and, if you want to get a decent image, you need to be pretty close to them (which scares them away). To get reproducible results, you really need a relatively long lens (I use my EF400mm f/5.6L which is on the short end. Most pro bird photographers use the 500 f/4 or the 600 f/4 and often with a 1.4X TC. Often these are used on a gimbal-mount tripod head - also expensive). Hummingbirds are a nightmare.

Last edited:
Cool, thats some useful info for me, and I didn't know any of this. :thumbup:

Ya I will do that, thanks.

Nice. I notice you lived in arizona...where do you go for all the bird shots and stuff?

I do most of my bird photography right near you in Gilbert in the East Valley! And, best of all, it's 100% free :)

Riparian Institute Home Page

The other place (not as large and diverse a population) is in Chandler (also free):

http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=682

The gull above, however, is from EB Forsythe NWR, Oceanville, NJ

EDIT:

There's a special event there this Saturday that might interest you:
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo...an-preserve.html?source=nletter-entertainment

Last edited:
Nice. I notice you lived in arizona...where do you go for all the bird shots and stuff?

I do most of my bird photography right near you in Gilbert in the East Valley! And, best of all, it's 100% free :)

Riparian Institute Home Page

The other place (not as large and diverse a population) is in Chandler (also free):

Chandler Environmental Education Center

The gull above, however, is from EB Forsythe NWR, Oceanville, NJ

EDIT:

There's a special event there this Saturday that might interest you:
7/31: Dragonflies, butterflies at Gilbert's Riparian Preserve

Ah, ok! Lol I am still kinda 'new' to the valley--but I was like, all there is here is cactus...and dead weeds--wheres he getting all this stuff!? Lol thanks for the info.

Ah, ok! Lol I am still kinda 'new' to the valley--but I was like, all there is here is cactus...and dead weeds--wheres he getting all this stuff!? Lol thanks for the info.

I've lived here almost 11 years (moved from Philadelphia) but it took me until this year to discover these places. There are more ...

You should also check out the Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior (East of Apache Junction on Rte 60)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back