Infra red film...Infra red digital?

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On practical photography there was a thing about turning digital images to infre red ones...

I was curious...how can I do it with my 300D? :)

I think it's something that is done in PS Arty I read a similar piece in Photography Monthly..

You can do it with PS but it's not like real infrared. It only simulates it. You can get an infrared filter like the Hoya R72. Now with the drebel a lot of lenses will have a hot spot in the center of the frame. I'm not sure which ones though.

In PS, duplicate your background layer, invert it, set its' blend mode to color, then make a channel mixer adjustment layer, check monochrome, and put your blue channel at 100%, and the other two to 0.

I would highly recommend buying a Hoya R72 filter however. The results are much nicer.

I have a list of Canon AF lenses and which ones give a hotspot and which don't. It's a journal entry on my DA page, and you can find it here: http://mperko.deviantart.com/journal/4289193/

One thing to look out for if you use film.

Your 300v has an infra-red light on the inside used to assist with auto wind of the film.

It will mark dots on the film and be quite destructive if you leave the camera on or the film in for any length of time.

Spike

Arty, it helps to understand a bit more about infrared light, and how it is reflected. Not all things will photograph well in infrared, and similarly, not all photos will look good after the ps trick. Typically, outdoor scenes in bright light with lots of green vegetation and a nice deep blue and cloudy sky work the best.

Here is an example:

and_through_the_woods2.jpg

spike000 said:
One thing to look out for if you use film.

Your 300v has an infra-red light on the inside used to assist with auto wind of the film.

It will mark dots on the film and be quite destructive if you leave the camera on or the film in for any length of time.

I've seen examples of this with other Canon 35mm AF SLRs (not this particular model), and the fogging was minimal. It was mostly around the sprockets, and intruded into the negative only a mm or 2.

Some labs use machines with internal IR lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back