Inserted Image size

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When inserting an image, what is the best size to make it?

I want the image big enough for everyone on forum to be able to see it OK, But I also do not want it too big that it is awkward to look at and members have to scroll to see it.

Thanx.

You can look at a bunch of images that were posted and check the properties. Built in to firefox but if the member doesn't mind you can download to see info in properties.

Thanx, I have looked at a few, 799 width seems an average that looks good on my lap top, so I will stick with that size.

If anyone has a better or more preferred size please let me know.

Thank you again.

Yup, 800x600 is a good size (for landscape orientation) for posting on forums. Many people surf forums on lower spec work computers and many still use 1024x768 desktop resolutions.

Thank you for the input.
Looks like 800 wide is the consensus.

True about the work computers that still use 1024 768, I made a website with my home PC during a weekend, then looked at it on my work PC on the Monday and realized I had to restart to make it look ok across different resolutions. (wasnt impressed lol )

Consider the standard screen resolution of 1024x768. The scroll bars and info on left would take up about 150/200 of those pixels, and the task bar and top menu probably also take up 100/150 pixels. And don't go beyond that.

This is still rather variable though. I did see someone the other day using a computer with *gasp* 800x600 resolution. I could bearly navigate my way around it being used to more than double that. But then those people hardly deserve to view your pictures.

another issue is the size of the file. It is rarely useful to have a filesize more than 224 KB (for and 600 x 800 image). Larger files won't show any better on monitors and only increase load times.

This is still rather variable though. I did see someone the other day using a computer with *gasp* 800x600 resolution. I could bearly navigate my way around it being used to more than double that. But then those people hardly deserve to view your pictures.

If you travel often and light, then there are many small portable devices with much smaller resolutions than desktop computers or giant laptops.

Those people are happy if images are not too large. I would not say they do not deserve to view the pictures.

Hence 600 - 800 in width is probably the best. I did go larger on occasion, but knowing it will be a pain to some.

Most reactions

Back