Interested in lenses for Canon EF mount that have unique signature

Was typing while you posted...

It brings upt the 50 an 75mm frame lines, but there's a viewfinder attachment that CV makes that gets it pretty accurate. I probably won't use it though, and just estimate the lines inside - it will be close enough. Tbd.

Yeah, the Leica thing has really bitten me. I am just SOOO tired of carrying around my big Canons. As I wrote above, I have a 5D and D60, and my lenses are HUGE. I've had the 50mm 1.4 on the 5D because it makes it a slightly smaller camera. If I put the 24-70mm 2.8 L on it (or the 70-200 2.8 L!!!) the camera becomes virtually uncarryable.

... not that a Digilux 3 is that much smaller.

Oh, regarding the trip - what's even cooler is that it is for business, and I am spreading it out because my wife is taking our kids to her family for 10 days.

So: no in-laws, 10 days of photography, exotic location, and I get to write off the travel expense.

So you’re looking for less sharp digital images straight from the camera or with very little editing in PS is that right? How have you tried controlling the DOF differently, that what would be more normal?

Was typing while you posted...

It brings upt the 50 an 75mm frame lines,....

.... I am just SOOO tired of carrying around my big Canons. As I wrote above, I have a 5D and D60, and my lenses are HUGE. .. virtually uncarryable.

... not that a Digilux 3 is that much smaller.

Thanks for that bit of info... I just might get the Nokton 40mm instead of the Leica 35mm Summilux. I'm sure a whole lot closer in savings to the Voigtlander than the 35mm.

I know what you mean... its a bit heavy which makes any long trip on foot a bit of a bummer... You are carrying two of the heaviest zooms in their classes.... My 4 primes which almost cover the same focal range are lighter and FASTER which is the reason why my 70-200mm f2.8L IS also stays home a lot. If I plan on a zoom, I bring along the lighter 24-105mm f4L and 50mm f1.4. Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate what you have...

Either case... prepare (insurance etc.) and bring the M8... its a good camera you enjoy to shoot. It would be a shame that it stays home each time you go on a trip.

What a wonderful thing you have going for yah Iron. I'd be lucky to see just one of those places in my lifetime. I've been on a few business trips but never to anywhere interesting and never with enough time to shoot.

How have you tried controlling the DOF differently, that what would be more normal?

Care to elaborate?

Iron, Jeff's post just reminded me of a lens I'm not too familiar with: The Canon Tilt and shift lenses. They are a challenge to use but provide the control like no other lens... I think they have a unique signature of their own.

They really do. I looked into tilt shifts a year ago (See an older post of mine here soemwhere) but I ultimately decided to pursue something else. They ARE harder to use, but I like that. I took a night course in archictural photography at UCLA last winter (read: 18 months ago) and really like it.

Tbd. I have other plans for that. As you may be able to tell at this point, I can afford whatever I want, it's my time that's limited. If I pursue tilt-shifts and architectural photography and urban landscapes, I think I want to get one of those fat big Hasselblads, but I need to learn how to use them first ;-)

Care to elaborate?---

Maybe or maybe not, not sure I have the issue and options straight in my mine

Seem to me that adjusting any of the exposure variables should have some effect on sharpness or DOF. (Shutter, aperture, bracketing, ISO & etc) That would happen if you shot an image under exposed in RAW then fix the exposure in PS?

[FONT=&quot]Similarly with focus there are options. Focus long or short so that the subject lands around the border of the DOF. The T/S lens you subjected. What about using servo focus (? mode name) on a still subject? That one always gets me into trouble [/FONT]because I forget reset the camera after visiting the ski park

I think that shooting just a tad or two below the rule-o-thumb would give you a similar effect ... a lot tougher to control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back