Interesting "First" for me Photo/Linux

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First here's the photo -- wet snow on leaves from my walk last week:

orange_leaves_zps20f754f7.jpg

This is special because this is the first time I've been able to process a photo start to finish using no-compromise best practices entirely in Linux (Unbuntu).

I've kept Linux boxes running at home for years. Great for web - browsing etc. but I've always dead-ended when trying to do photo processing on those systems. One or another critical link in the chain was missing and I couldn't acquire it.

So this semester Sara walks into my class with her laptop and when she opens it up there's Ubuntu running. I give her the twisted-up-face what-is-this look and she explains to me that her Dad is uber computer geek himself and there's nothing she can do about it since Dad knows this is what she needs. OK.

So this renews my interest in the problem and finally I've pulled it off with only one little cheat. I did have to run Windows in order to use my display calibrator, but I was able to import that ICC display profile into Ubuntu and use it with the processing software I installed in Ubuntu. That was always one of the problems: color management. Losing proper color management breaks my best practices chain and I still can't actually run my display calibrator from inside Ubuntu but importing the profile seems to work OK.

The next problem was 16 bit RGB editing. Raw processing isn't a problem with a couple good raw converters available. But once the raw converter has output a 16 bit TIFF and you need to do further work then what? So we've all been waiting for 16 bit GIMP now for how long? Well I was able to find an "unstable" development version of GIMP (16 bit) and get it installed. And yes it has crashed on me, so this is still pretty shaky, but I also did get it to work.

The above photo then was a raw file converted in Raw Therapee and output to a 16 bit TIFF. Then opened for additional processing as a 16 bit file in GIMP and output from GIMP both as a 16 bit archive and 8 bit JPEG with proper color management in force throughout the process. First time I've ever been able to do that.

Joe

Joe,

Congrats on a working linux setup! I also use the gimp development branch. I have gravitated mainly towards darktable instead of Raw Therapee and UFRaw.

I have to admit I haven't figured out the color calibration yet.

Which display calibrator are you using? I'd like to find one that actually works in linux (I understand yours does not, but it's useful info) :)

Best,

-Nate

Joe,

Congrats on a working linux setup! I also use the gimp development branch. I have gravitated mainly towards darktable instead of Raw Therapee and UFRaw.

I have to admit I haven't figured out the color calibration yet.

Which display calibrator are you using? I'd like to find one that actually works in linux (I understand yours does not, but it's useful info) :)

Best,

-Nate

Yep, color management breaks the chain for me and that continues to be a big problem. The vendors that make the hardware don't support Linux so what do you do? I use X-Rite calibration hardware and the only way I was able to make this work was to get my display calibrated with Windows installed and then re-boot the same computer with Ubuntu and import that calibration profile. If I didn't have that boot option to Windows installed then for me it's still not functional.

Joe

Next time I have a computer problem, I know who I am e-mailing. lol

"You so neeerrrrrdy!"

Have you tried the argyll cms? It's reported to support some x-rite and spyder products.

I think I'll check and see if the photography lab here on campus has a color profiling device I can borrow. I've got to try this out myself :)

"You so neeerrrrrdy!"
I got one right now I think I am going to create a thread...

Have you tried the argyll cms? It's reported to support some x-rite and spyder products.

I think I'll check and see if the photography lab here on campus has a color profiling device I can borrow. I've got to try this out myself :)

Yep, looked into it, but it doesn't fully support X-Rite Colormunki Photo and it's not going to. So that link in the chain is still broken. I can boot back and forth between Ubuntu and Windows and just use Windows to manage CMS tasks but that defeats the goal of a fully functional Linux standalone system.

Joe

"You so neeerrrrrdy!"

I'll admit to at least a tendency:)

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back