Interesting new camera concept

Not pretending to be a camera snob, but at the end of the day IQ is still be the main qualifier not to exclude price too for it to go mainstream. But who knows it may take off. After all it is still a new concept. ;)

It's a floppy disk with a hole in the middle.

Seriously it is!!

Plus I don't get the why, the whole product seems to be targeted at the point and shoot market, but it looks like it will have just one single focal length, no zoom (not even digital). Plus no image review at all. Which is very strange as the target market of the point and shoot photographer is going to want to see what they just took a picture of and share it around before its even 5 seconds old. This, however, just seems to be something that hasn't been thought through very well and is a case of "lets change things because we can" rather than properly thinking things through.

The circle of camera lenses is interesting; but in the end will you get a higher quality image or just a much much bigger image resolution stitched together that makes you wonder "why are my pictures so big".

Like the Lytro, I foresee quite some time for this to take off. Nothing wrong with the Lytro or this, but these are new concepts. Aside from competing with IQ, both will compete on how people view using a camera. And needless to say old habits die hard.

It's a floppy disk with a hole in the middle.

Seriously it is!!

Plus I don't get the why, the whole product seems to be targeted at the point and shoot market, but it looks like it will have just one single focal length, no zoom (not even digital). Plus no image review at all. Which is very strange as the target market of the point and shoot photographer is going to want to see what they just took a picture of and share it around before its even 5 seconds old. This, however, just seems to be something that hasn't been thought through very well and is a case of "lets change things because we can" rather than properly thinking things through.

The circle of camera lenses is interesting; but in the end will you get a higher quality image or just a much much bigger image resolution stitched together that makes you wonder "why are my pictures so big".

I would not say that it has not been thought through very well I would say they are still in the thinking through process. From the video it is vary obvious that it what he was holding was not a working prototype as it did not have the camera array that he talked about. It may get some zoom capability nobody knows.

And he did talk about a screen for image review. He said the camera automatically would automaticly send the to your phone or tablet. I personally don't think tht would be vary user friendly and think the use of a transparent LCD in the hole would be a better idea. And yes transparent LCDs are real.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clear LCD would be essential if they wanted to go with zooming and review whilst keeping it to the clear glass viewfinder approach (since otherwise you'd only have one field of view through the glass itself).

The see-through LCD is very impressive, shame they didn't go into detail about how it would deal with strong point light sources in the real world (sun!) but otherwise very neat!

I don't see that camera being very popular in its current design. Kind of like the 8 track.

The clear LCD would be essential if they wanted to go with zooming and review whilst keeping it to the clear glass viewfinder approach (since otherwise you'd only have one field of view through the glass itself).

Not necessarily the hole could adjust in size thus showing a more narrow field of view that the zoom would have. Although admittedly I don't think that would be a good idea ether.

With the glasses that google is making I really don't ever see this concept camera coming to market.

It's a digital camera that behaves like a film camera... unless you feel like juggling another digital device which it can sync with.

This, however, just seems to be something that hasn't been thought through very well and is a case of "lets change things because we can" rather than properly thinking things through.
^^^That^^^

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Looks like a hipster art student who is two weeks late for April fools.

"Get it out of your way" is the last thing you want with your camera unless you like the days of not seeing what you get, not knowing what's in focus, not knowing what your settings are. You shouldn't expect anything tangible from a "design" company.

Most reactions

Back