Interesting tree

Crazydad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I drive by this tree almost everyday and finally got a chance to get close. It is next to a creek in the middle of a divided highway, so even though the road is about 150 feet away, I had to park in a neighborhood and follow the creek for about 1/2 mile.
One of my first attempts at some B&W work, please let me know what you think and what suggestions you have.

2837902611_5a4e7920cd_b.jpg

2837905375_5db6b8037b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This is indeed an interesting tree (look at that corkscrew branch, for crying out loud!) and the B&W suits it mightily.

You mentioned you drive by almost every day. May I suggest trying to shoot the tree with an overcast sky for a different effect?

Thanks for the input!

You are right about the overcast day. We just haven't had any in quite a while. It's been sunny and hot all summer. Maybe this weekend since Ike is supposed to come pretty close.

Feels like the sun, shadows, and the very dark sky fit these photos perfectly. I like skies to turn out this dark and wonder whether an overcast sky (and no sun, hence no shadows, meaning: much fewer contrasts) could bring about the same thrilling effect.

I'm also curious about the mood that a different sky would have on this.

Try to capture the same tree with a thunderstorm rolling in the background. The tree feels "ominous" (especially the 2nd), seems the mood would be even stronger with matching cloud forms.

Even so, I love the character and sense of time/age that the tree has.

Feels like the sun, shadows, and the very dark sky fit these photos perfectly. I like skies to turn out this dark and wonder whether an overcast sky (and no sun, hence no shadows, meaning: much fewer contrasts) could bring about the same thrilling effect.

Thank you for the input LaFoto. I haven't thought about the contrast effect an overcast sky might have. Gives me an excuse to go back when it is overcast and see..:D

I'm also curious about the mood that a different sky would have on this.

Try to capture the same tree with a thunderstorm rolling in the background. The tree feels "ominous" (especially the 2nd), seems the mood would be even stronger with matching cloud forms.

Even so, I love the character and sense of time/age that the tree has.

Thanks RubyRed. You are right, a storm would definitely add to the mood. The main problem is the location. It is in a small ravine in the middle of a divided highway with a bunch of live trees on either side. So to isolate the tree, I had to get close and shoot almost straight up. But I am still going to try the next time we get storms (other than hurricane Ike!).

Most reactions

Back