Introduction

chi804

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to the forum and decided I would post my introduction. I've been shooting for around 7 months with DSLR's(Sony NEX F3, Nikon D5100). I just bought a new Nikon D5100 and would like to share some manually bracketed HDR photos.
These are small skyline shots of Richmond VA from a position looking over the James River. These have been stitched in CS6.

James-River-HDR-1 by chi804, on Flickr

f5.0 1/640 iso100, f5.0 1/320 iso100, f5.0 1/1250 iso100

Not elevated.

RVA HDR by chi804, on Flickr

f7.1 1/250 iso100, f7.1 1/400 iso100, f7.1 1/640 iso100

Great forum. Pre-thanks to all for your help and info.

Not bad... these do have that overcooked look common to HDR shots. Especially in the sky and finer details of the cityscape, giving it kind of a "cartoon" feel.

Photoshop is ok for HDR, but if you haven't tried it yet, I'd recommend you give Photomatix a try as it's designed specifically for HDR.

Reign in the processing and shoot for finer detail. As for the shots themselves, I like the location. These could make some really nice HDRs done right.

Thanks for reply.
I've tried processing out some of the "overcooked" look but I found that it loses a lot of detail. It becomes a balancing act for me as I want the pop of HDR but having a hard time figuring out how to tame some "cartoon" look.
I'll take your advice and shoot for finer detail and I'll take a look at Photomatix. Thanks again.

Thanks for reply.
I've tried processing out some of the "overcooked" look but I found that it loses a lot of detail. It becomes a balancing act for me as I want the pop of HDR but having a hard time figuring out how to tame some "cartoon" look.
I'll take your advice and shoot for finer detail and I'll take a look at Photomatix. Thanks again.

No problem.. I really think you'll like photomatix. I think it does a much better job being a dedicated HDR software.

I do love those locations though. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back