IQ between the Canon Rebels and a 7D...

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that the major determining factor in image quality is your glass. However, if you have a high quality L-series lens on a T1i/T2i, etc, and that same lens on the 7D, will there be any difference in image quality?

I have always had the impression that the increased price is due to better build quality and better specs that allow you to capture that shot better (more control over settings, better AF, burst rate, weather sealing, etc), but that the image quality (and noise levels at identical ISO) was the same due to the similar processors and identical sensor size.

Am I wrong with this assumption?

Last edited:
splproductions said:
I know that the major determining factor in image quality is your glass. However, if you have a high quality L-series lens on a T1i/T2i, etc, and that same lens on the 7D, will there be any difference in image quality?

I have always had the impression that the increased price is due to better specs that allow you to capture that shot better (more control over settings, better AF, burst rate, etc), but that the image quality was the same due to the similar processors and identical sensor size.

Am I wrong with this assumption?

I have used and sold, sorry to admit, an XTI, and I think I got better shots in terms of sharpness with that XTI than I have with my 7D. More MP is not a good thing always. If you read more about the newest camera releases most often you will read that the users do not want more MP.

Depending on the body used, one must use best glass to achieve what the body is not managing well. It's not a great fit IMHO.

Georgiegirl, do you regret letting go of the xti?

7D, T2i and T3i have (more or less) the same sensor, while T1i and T3 have other kinds. So, image quality in the first three should be more or less the same, for what is related to the sensor. However, in 7D different AF may help you in having better images, as well as faster fps.
In the middle you have 60D - same sensor, body better than T3i.
Go there for a direct comparison (choose suitable cameras from the menus): Canon EOS 600D Review: 18. Compared to (Raw): Digital Photography Review

Georgiegirl, do you regret letting go of the xti?

I really like the 7D and what I am able to do with it. The XTI was small in my hand and I did find that I eneded up moving the dials inadvertently which was troubling, but when I look at the shots that I took with it, I think it was a good camera.

7D, T2i and T3i have (more or less) the same sensor, while T1i and T3 have other kinds. So, image quality in the first three should be more or less the same, for what is related to the sensor. However, in 7D different AF may help you in having better images, as well as faster fps.
In the middle you have 60D - same sensor, body better than T3i.
Go there for a direct comparison (choose suitable cameras from the menus): Canon EOS 600D Review: 18. Compared to (Raw): Digital Photography Review

Actually, all of the cameras you listed use the same Digic-4 processor and have the same specs on their censors. See here.

Canon EOS 7D Review: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS 500D / Digital Rebel T1i Review: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

The 7D does however have two Digic-4 processors to the T1i's single processor. Also, the 7D has 19 focus points to the nine of the T1i and all of the 7D's 19 focus points are cross type. Giving the 7D the focusing edge in low light/low contrast situations.

I will be keeping my T1i for a long long time, because the 7D is about three times the price. The T1i does a great job for a beginner.

Actually, all of the cameras you listed use the same Digic-4 processor and have the same specs on their censors. See here.

Canon EOS 7D Review: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS 500D / Digital Rebel T1i Review: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

Actually, T1i is a 15MP sensor, the others 18MP. By the way, it seems also that between 7D and T2i/T3i/60D there is a difference in the number of read channels, so not exactly the same sensor, but nothing a beginner should worry with.
Anyway, if having a T1i, of course I would keep it. Having to choose one to start, now T2i (at least here) is well priced, and only slightly different from T3i. Definitely good lenses make difference.

It's not the camera that create great images but it's up to the photographer. There's not signficant difference in image quality, but functions and features is what's important to different people. If you shoot wedding, sports, and etc, I think the features on the 7D is much better than the t1i. In a live events, you can not retake a great shot. A split second and you lost a beautiful shot.

Once a body and/or lens become a need, the person realize the cost of buying that body or lens is justified.

Most reactions

Back