Is a Side Bar Thread a Good Idea for Rate the Photo Above You?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems the Rate the Photo Above You thread has got some traction with nearly 250 replies and it occurred me after reading a few exchanges and seeing some results, that some further discussion might not be a bad idea. Since it appears the thread was started as more of a light entertainment and that flow should not get bogged down, a more in-depth conversation could be carried on in a Side Bar companion thread for those that have an interest. This may also help snippiness within the thread to be suppressed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Cigarillos?

IMO ... if somebody wants more discussion on their photo, they should just start a thread asking for C&C/discussion/whatever...

I kind of like how you just get one opinion from one (random) person on that thread. If you want more than that, nothing is stopping you from starting your own thread.

I think that kundalini brings up a great point. The thread has been a big success. There has been some reply's to some of the criticism and "seems to bog down the thread". This is true and distracts from the concept.
Regards,

I agree. It should remain a fast paced fun thread, without the defensive replies to basic critique. If people want detailed critique and discussion, a thread for the image should be posted, as usual.

Yes, I've thought about that too, starting a new thread. That's exactly what this place needs, more threads!

If you've spent any time in the thread, there are several photos and associated rating that the photographer and the commentor may want more clarification on what was posted. I don't want this to sound the wrong way, but the photo may not warrant nor require its own thread. A companion thread could handle any overflow and keep the flow going in the other.

I guess this is just runoff from my work day today. I had a long drawn out conference call and one of my colleagues is forever trying to find those "teachable moments". That and a few shots got me to thinking. Wrong thing to attempt on a Friday evening. :lol:

I think it's a great idea. If the poster wants a little more info on the photo in the game thread, then posting it in such a thread like this will keep that information in one place, and not get hundreds of new thread asking for C&C. Me gusta.

Yes, I've thought about that too, starting a new thread. That's exactly what this place needs, more threads!

If you've spent any time in the thread, there are several photos and associated rating that the photographer and the commentor may want more clarification on what was posted. I don't want this to sound the wrong way, but the photo may not warrant nor require its own thread. A companion thread could handle any overflow and keep the flow going in the other.

I guess this is just runoff from my work day today. I had a long drawn out conference call and one of my colleagues is forever trying to find those "teachable moments". That and a few shots got me to thinking. Wrong thing to attempt on a Friday evening. :lol:
OK, I think I understand the original intent better now... I still think that a dedicated thread isn't necessary though. I mean, it seems to me that private messaging is the perfect answer... Which we have already.

Maybe some of the posts that are causing the 'problem' would have been more appropriate to just PM the parties involved instead of posting in the thread....

I don't want my inbox filled with C&C and arguing, though.

Well, I meant more like PMing someone for more information - not PMing someone to tell them that they suck some more. :lol:Like, you could PM someone and say "Hey, I noticed that yonl only gave my photo a 3 out of 10... Would you care to go into a little more detail on what you felt was lacking, or how I can improve?"

Unfortunately, I often judge people from their post count: high post count = experienced photographer and vica versa.. not ideal, I know, but I always do this, whether I'm on this place or the shaving community.

IMO, this 'rate the picture before you' thread isn't working well.
People do a quick comment in order to post a picture to get some attention.
The thread may move but the vast proportion of the comments are relatively valueless.
Look how much more valuable a thread would be if, in order to post a picture, you had to actually think about the one before and write something sensible and thoughtful.
I don't mind writing critiques but I don't like putting up pictures I have faith in and get them fobbed off with a few words; it's not a fair trade.

Last edited:
There are enough people here who put effort into C&C who could either turn that thread around by doing good critiques on a bunch of pictures or start a do-a-critique-post-a- picture thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back