Is a small tragedy still a tragedy?

Tasmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Asmalltragedy-small.jpg

Strong winds blew the pigeon nest off the small tree in the balcony, and that was what i wondered. I couldn't get a shot of the parents, as the flew away. I'm wondering if they will return to build a new nest and a new family.

I am not entirely satisfied with the shot, but it is the best i could do. Ok maybe it is a little sad and dark, but i don't immediately think of the word "tragedy". A photo with all three broken eggs would be a lot more emotional, but the space was pretty cramped and i didn't have many options aside of moving the eggs and nest remains and composing my own little scene - which, for better or worse, i didn't. A crop didn't do it either - i feel that the photo needs the surrounding debris to convey a feeling of destruction and desolation. If you feel that you can improve it, by all means do.

This is the best "group" shot that i had, nowhere near as strong as i'd like (and maybe just a touch too much USM :p):

Asmalltragedy2-small.jpg

I think while it is a "tragedy" for the pigeon parents for a short while, they usually have a very short memory. I doubt they'll start nesting again right away, but pigeons can have young all around the year, so as soon as Lady Pigeon will feel alright again, they'll have a new nest, hopefully in a more sheltered area.

The first photo is nice. Tells a bit of a story. Though, freshly laid as that broken egg looks, it could also have fallen out of a shopping bag ... so --- hmmm --- I'm not sure the story tells itself all through the photo only. The photo needs you to add the real story to it...

Ironically, After I read this post the first time I had to go out and get the kids off the bus. Wile waiting for the bus I got several shots of some Black cap Chickadees engaged in mating dances.

The first photo is nice. Tells a bit of a story. Though, freshly laid as that broken egg looks, it could also have fallen out of a shopping bag ... so --- hmmm --- I'm not sure the story tells itself all through the photo only. The photo needs you to add the real story to it...

Pretty much my thoughts. Well, at least i tried! If only was in time to take a shot with the birds still around, it would have been a lot better.

Ironically, After I read this post the first time I had to go out and get the kids off the bus. Wile waiting for the bus I got several shots of some Black cap Chickadees engaged in mating dances.

To quote Elton John: It's the circle of life ;)

To quote Elton John: It's the circle of life ;)

That it is :D

Most reactions

Back