Is Canon really that much better?

forzaF1

Ultimate Ferrari Tifosi
Reaction score
Website
johnburrowphotography.fotki.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just looking around B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc. and so many of the reviews for Canon equipment, that claim to be written by former Nikon users, say that Canon is far superior. In a review for the 1ds Mark II :)drool:), some guy wrote
"I have been shooting pro for 12 yrs and I recently switched to
digital. I have had to work with both Nikon and Canon
equipment and I can safely say that Canon is and always will
be superior to Nikon."

I have also noticed that almost all the pro photographers (at sporting events, etc.) always use Canon.

As a Nikon user for years, I am in so position to make a quick switch, but I was just curious. What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot,

John

"Is Canon really that much better?"

quick answer...

no.

:D

it greatly depends on what you're using it for...i wouldn't switch based on user reviews, since each person will like each camera for different reasons. if you're seeing limitations in your own kit that owning a certain canon would solve, then get a canon. if not, stick with nikon. just my opinion :)

In the 1990's, Alot of Nikon sports shooters switched to Canon because the EOS AF system was remarkably faster than that of Nikon's internal motors in the body. That's why almost every sports shooter that has been working since the 90's shoots Canon. Nowadays there are more Nikon sports shooters, but it's still almost entirely Canon on the sidelines.

As far as which is superior now? Neither in my opinion. I'd rather shoot with my D70 than a 1D because I do not like the control scheme of Canon SLR's. Nikon's make more sense to me. It's that simple.

If you think switching will improve your photography, all power to you. Otherwise, it sounds like you're switching based on a few people's opinions, which is not why you spend thousands of dollars to switch systems.

Also keep in mind that that people who are more likely to take the time to write a review are the ones who have had some sort of extreme experience....such as "this is the best thing ever!" or "I'd rather use a hammer and chisel." I'd think the majority of people simply prefer whatever camera they have, but don't have such strong feelings.

I
If you think switching will improve your photography, all power to you.
It could work, if the logic behind the canon controls, switches and wheels works better for him (as for me) .. but if if mind is happier with the Nikon way of arranging everything, then his images will be better when he uses a Nikon, same for other brands.

he just has to try, rent a canon and see if he is happier with it. just based on reviews i would not do it. as said, it is an expensive switch.

Just my two cents..The only real difference is the sensors Nikon uses ccd sensor on almost all its lineup and Cannon uses the cmos which is supposed to be faster censor .
myself I believe a good picture can be had with anyhing its all in the hands of the shooter .

Another reason why I ask this is because I had a shoot for one the local Ferrari Club of Nashville members last Saturday. Some "static electricity" was emitted from my memory card, and it damaged one of my pins in the memory bay, so I had to send it back to Nikon on Friday night. In the process of sadly telling the Ferrari owner what had happened, he said that his neighbor had a 5D and that I could probably use it. I ended up using that 5D with his neighbor's 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. I REALLY enjoyed shooting with it, but I wish I could have had my D200 there to compare them. Hmmm...

I've only ever had 1 Nikon - a compact and it died after only around 5500 frames.
However if pushed i'd say they were as good as each other. The reason i have Canon gear is because when i was looking to buy my first SLR in 1995 Canon had a promo in the shop i was buying from.
I picked up the body, couple of lenses, filters, films etc in one package.
If Nikon had a similar or better deal on at the time then there's every chance i'd have Nikon stuff!!

"...I can safely say that Canon is and always will be superior to Nikon."

As a source of legitimate information, I'd be wary of anyone who claims to be able to forsee the future...

I'm also curious as to how many of these 'professional' photographers that switch after a decade+ are really pro photogs and not just some fanboy - because it seems I've read a lot of Nikonians who were 'pro photogs' shooting Canon and switched the other way.

Even though I'm seriously contemplating a switch as well, just because Canon has less noise at high ISO. I dunno, I'll go rent a Canon and shoot with it for a weekend, see how it feels to me. Though I've said this countless times and still stick with Nikon because it's what I know most about.

No company is significantly better than any other. It all comes to down to personal preference. I will say though, that no 35mm based digital SLR has the resolution and full frame sensor that the Canon 1ds MKII has. It's all preference though. Depending on what you shoot, that might not be necessary.

I can safely say that Canon is and always will
be superior to Nikon

:chatty:
I just wonder what makes the guy so confidant about what he is saying...

Of course, I understand people saying that they prefer some brand above any other, or that they were never as satisfied as with the xxx camera in their hands, etc. But such canonical statement! :er:

I can't help but suspecting that there is some hidden intention behind those words. (S)he's definitely trying to tell far more than just about her/his experience with Canon, Nikon or whichever. In which case, well, I'll try to help:

"I can 100% assure you that Nikon cameras are but a piece of crap, and Canon was, is, will be and remain for ever and ever the unique quality brand in which any photographer should rely. And anyone who tries to deny this is stupid" :crazy:

I mean I like my Canon and all but......... calling it better (as it is nice to think you possibly thought so) would be false. I'd shoot with anything really though. Just got a Canon because it was a recommendation from a friend who's opinion I really look up to.
I almost went Pentax, I'm sure my photos would look the same.

I did get lucky later on by getting a Canon system from my grandfather after he passed, but it has nothing to do with my DSLR.

Comparing systems ... Canon to Nikon ... Canon wins. Nikon doesn't have any cameras in the same genre as the MKIIDs, the 5D. The MK III and the 'N' are probably better than the Nikon counterparts ... but significantly better is arguable.

Will a pro get a better shot with pro Canon equipment than pro Nikon equipment ... no.

Will pro Canon equipment or pro Nikon equipment make you a better photographer ... no.

Will pro equipment make the impossible shot possible ... no.

What pro equipment will do is make the extraordinary photo easier to get ... time and time again.

Is Canon better than Nikon ... individually comparing similar equipment no ... but collectively yes because Canon has a larger system with cameras that Nikon doesn't touch.

Gary

The main problem with trying to address who is *better* regardless IF there is one better or not... is that the two manufacturers do not bounce competitive equipment off each other... I have a ton of practical experience using and setting up both since I do a bit of work with my girlfriends Nikon gear as well as my Canon gear...

I will say this though... Nikon needs to step up to the plate in two areas to be competitive in the future...

1) Availability of Product: Currently Nikon has been having a ton of issues getting stock to dealers. I am not sure why but pound for pound if you look for a canon product... chances are you will find it.

2) Competitive Standings: You really cant base one camera against the next... D200 vs. 30D? two totally different cameras... D2h vs. 1D Mark II? two totally different cameras... D2X vs. 1Ds Mark II? its closer but really the same deal...

Now I am not saying Nikon products suck or anything even remotely of that nature... I actually really like my GFs D200 and if I had started with Nikon instead of Canon I would own a D2X and D2H instead of a 1D Mark II and 5D... but really to each their own...

Every camera with a capable photographer will produce images usually WAY far superior to the photogs abilities.

Most reactions

Back