Is DPreview.com always so unfriendly?

Alex_B said:
trying to get a login there... post a comment .... and probably get banned there too ;)

I myself did not pay much attention to digital cameras until just before i wanted to buy one. so I too was stupid about the digital business for a long time ... the only thing I knew before was that those images I saw would not satisfy so I stayed with film for a long time.

but that way of thinking is unknown to many people on such almost purely technical forums on digital imaging. I bet the admin never shot on film so he comes with a way of thinking that he does not understand that being a serious photograper does not require digital expertise.

We can wear our banning as a badge of honor :). I sold my photo business in 2000 to go into the e-commerce business where I make my living to this day. I quit photography completely except for shooting thousands of product images for my web sites. For six years I didn't read about photography. I wasn't plugged in the photographic community. I just made product shots for my web sites and ignored photography in other respects. Recently I decided to get back into amateur photography and I'm doing it with digital. I'm six years behind. Sorry about that, DP Review.

fmw said:
We can wear our banning as a badge of honor :). I sold my photo business in 2000 to go into the e-commerce business where I make my living to this day. I quit photography completely except for shooting thousands of product images for my web sites. For six years I didn't read about photography. I wasn't plugged in the photographic community. I just made product shots for my web sites and ignored photography in other respects. Recently I decided to get back into amateur photography and I'm doing it with digital. I'm six years behind. Sorry about that, DP Review.

ok, did post something now there... supporting the removeable sensor concept and putting some things straight (in a freindly way) .. let us see if i get banned ;)

Just be very careful not to let anything get back here. There are a lot of immature people over there that could overwhelm our nice little corner of the Internet.

Big Mike said:
Just be very careful not to let anything get back here. There are a lot of immature people over there that could overwhelm our nice little corner of the Internet.

don't worry, no reference made to this forum ... and i stayed polite on dpreview.

you only had rude replies, then you are lucky.
I copied the wrong link in one of my posts ( you can't edit your posts once posted ) and got death threats in emails from my website!!!

i wonder what would happen if you open a nikon vs canon thread THERE! lol

strange people out there (not that we in here are not strange, but in a different way ;) )

Alex_B said:
i wonder what would happen if you open a nikon vs canon thread THERE! lol

strange people out there (not that we in here are not strange, but in a different way ;) )

By the way, Alex, were you banned?

fmw said:
By the way, Alex, were you banned?

No, that admin fell completely silent!

And you got a couple of more friendly answers to your question, where people mention medium format, or make other friendly suggestions.

well, you can have a look there since beeing banned only means you cannot post, but you could read if interested.

Alex_B said:
No, that admin fell completely silent!

And you got a couple of more friendly answers to your question, where people mention medium format, or make other friendly suggestions.

well, you can have a look there since beeing banned only means you cannot post, but you could read if interested.

I read it. Apparently they think I was a troll because I asked a question to which everyone in the forum already knew the answer. There must be some unpublished minimum knowledge requrement for asking questions. Or perhaps you shouldn't ask questions to which you don't know the answer. I'd be happy to answer their photographic questions in return for their answering my digital questions but I guess that won't happen.

I'm going to communicate with NPS and suggest Nikon work on an upgradeable camera/sensor system. I would buy one. I would buy a D2X if it had such a feature but I'm not going to spend $4000 ir $5000 for a camera body that becomes obselete in a few years. I bought my Nikon FTn in 1968 and used it reliably until I sold it in 2000. I used my F2 that I purchased in 1973 even more until 2000. Those were investments rather than expenses, I think. I sold both cameras for more than I paid for them thanks to inflation. How much depreciation is there in a D1 Nikon? 90%? It's hard for me to understand the attitude that changing cameras like underwear should be normal and acceptable. So I use my expensive lenses on a D50.

fmw said:
I'm going to communicate with NPS and suggest Nikon work on an upgradeable camera/sensor system. I would buy one. I would buy a D2X if it had such a feature but I'm not going to spend $4000 ir $5000 for a camera body that becomes obselete in a few years. I bought my Nikon FTn in 1968 and used it reliably until I sold it in 2000. I used my F2 that I purchased in 1973 even more until 2000. Those were investments rather than expenses, I think. I sold both cameras for more than I paid for them thanks to inflation. How much depreciation is there in a D1 Nikon? 90%? It's hard for me to understand the attitude that changing cameras like underwear should be normal and acceptable. So I use my expensive lenses on a D50.

Perhaps we can start a survey to register those interested in an upgradeable digital Nikon and present it to them. If Nikon realizes what the photo public wants from them it may sway their thinking…..

Alex_B said:
[...] you can have a look there since beeing banned only means you cannot post, but you could read if interested.

That goes on DPR. But not on every forum. Some admins ban your every access to the entire site. And then you don't even get onto the homepage anymore.

Photocamel.com/ is one such board.

They're afraid you'll find out what blatant lies they feed the other forum members about why you were banned.

fmw said:
I'm going to communicate with NPS and suggest Nikon work on an upgradeable camera/sensor system. I would buy one.
And then you wouldn't buy a new camera for at least 10 years! That is why Nikon (and the others) don't want an upgradeable camera/sensor system. They much rather sell us whole cameras than just shove-in chips.
If you were a camera manufacturer, what would you do?

W.Smith said:
That goes on DPR. But not on every forum. Some admins ban your every access to the entire site. And then you don't even get onto the homepage anymore.

Photocamel.com/ is one such board.

They're afraid you'll find out what blatant lies they feed the other forum members about why you were banned.

well using various ways to access the internet, I could always work around such a ban.

but already the idea is rather pervert ... I am really happy to be on this forum here instead ... (thanks Mentos for dragging me here! :D)

Should I go get em?

I'll mess em up good. I'll even incite a forum raid from a bunch of ravers!

You want me to get em....eh let me atem!!

bace said:
Should I go get em?

I'll mess em up good. I'll even incite a forum raid from a bunch of ravers!

You want me to get em....eh let me atem!!

Considering how close you came to getting banned here, they'd probably ban you before you were done registering. :lol:

Just teasin ya...you know we love ya. :p

Most reactions

Back