is it a good idea to go to the rally with only a 50mm?

rocdoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
Quick opinion poll: I plan to go downtown for the Stewart-Colbert rally in a bit, for fun. I won't lug a bunch of stuff with me, and I was thinking about taking only my 50mm f/1.8 lens on the D90. Good for portraits (75mm equivalent) which is what I will mainly be aiming for. The main alternative is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which would give a bit more flexibility, but it's bigger and the quality is not as high as the prime. The aim is not to document things journalistic-style, but to catch some good shots, some hopefully worth posting and looking at for the artsy/beauty value only. Any thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks a lot!

I'd probably go with the 50mm and put up with having to position myself a bit better when taking the shots...

In a situation like yours, I'd be satisfied with taking the prime only. It is much less intrusive as a larger zoom and assuming it's a large crowd of people, maneuvering through them will be much less hassle.

Sorry, you lost me at "Stewart-Colbert rally".

I would go with the Tamron. Doesn't matter how crisp a shot is, if you can't take it because you are at a bad distance to the subject. I would prefer a wide zoom though like the Tokina 16-50, or the Tamron 17-50 2.8

Thanks for chiming in everybody. I did end up going with the prime, and I had fun and got some fun shots. Of course at times I missed a zoom, but that would always be the case - I tend to miss my primes if I take a zoom. It was a blast anyway. I am processing the pics, here are a couple of samples.

5133683696_c8d38b88e7_b.jpg
[/url]
malice and stupidity by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

5133683648_3c9ddf3198_b.jpg
[/url]
cool and civil at the rally by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

5133082169_b9b73dbcf3_b.jpg
[/url]
rally crowds - approaching the Mall by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

wow, those came out pretty good!

Thanks! I took a bunch more, I wouldn't go as far as to say they're good, but they sure were/are fun

I'm late to the discussion but I would take the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
The f1.8 isn't a factor in the middle of the day but 28mm to 75mm is a definite advantage over a fixed 50mm, IMHO

I'm late to the discussion but I would take the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
The f1.8 isn't a factor in the middle of the day but 28mm to 75mm is a definite advantage over a fixed 50mm, IMHO

Next rally I will do that :)
I'm actually not even kidding, I like to alternate what I take with me, it's a different experience depending on what I have with me, part of the fun as far as I'm concerned. If I have several lenses with me, try as I might I can't avoid thinking about what would be better for this or that situation and I end up swapping lenses a lot, stressing over dust, etc., instead of looking for shots and having fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back