Is it a Nikon 200-400mm and Canon 100-400mm Killer?

I've not poked my nose much into this lens, but from very light viewing its had some very very good reviews on its release - certainly I think its standing up as a viable alternative to the 100-400mm from canon - not as sure about the 200-400mm from Nikon as its a higher price and quality band than the canon.

Yes, absolutely. With stellar image quality, smaller build, F/2.8 aperture, and approx 450mm range with 1.4x TC (still only at F/4, mind you!), it's definitely a killer lens!

Mark

Since the Nikon is f/4, the Canon is a variable aperture f/4.5-5.6, and the Sigma is f/2.8 and only has 300 mm of reach, I would say the 3 lenses are not comparable.

I don't think it will kill the 100-400, for what it is it is still pretty economical to most. Too much of a price point change and Canon has already developed something better than the 100-200 with the soon to come out 200-400 f4 with built in 1.4TC (although that's at an extreme price markup).
It does open possibilities for me for indoor sports shooting as I am always looking for something that reaches the far end of a basketball court, or than the 70-200 but shorter than the 400.

Last edited:
Seems cost factor alone may bite into Canon and Nikons sales, at least "a little" market share?

Spahn. Canons got a 200-400 with built in 1.4x TC? I just read up on it and it surely seems like it's going to be a beast and a half! I do have one question. With the extender in use, will that make the lens an f/5.6 like it would with traditional TCs?Mark

Mark I assume it does - its just a slip in slip out type teleconverter function lifted from their video camera range - the idea being simply to all for a fast insertion of the extra range without lens swapping.

Sadly its only just gone into development and with the events in Japan might well not be released for a year or more (though Canon might push to get it out for 2012 olympics)

It kind of makes me want to buy a canon, to be honest. But the Sigma has proven to be an amazing lens. And I'm sure this will push Nikon to reiterate theirs. :mrgreen:

I find it interesting that this lens is creating any kind of stir. I own the previous model, without the OS, and it always has been a fine lens. Since every person I have ever seen use it was shooting sports (myself included) the OS just adds an expense that will never be used, which is why I continue to use the older model.

Allan

I believe there was a rework in design and elements as well. Better image quality.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back