Is it necessary?

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well the offcamera cable is certainly good for getting your flash offcamera. The short coiled types tend to be good for holding the flash close, but by hand and also for brackets like the one in the kit.

The bracket looks ok, I've no idea how good it will be in practice (I have a very cheap one and even with added metal it wabbles!) but in use I do see brackets like that used a lot to get the flash a little higher and thus lose that "oncamera flash" look.

I was at B&H yesterday to purchase a Speedlight. The kit bracket is so-so.
I purchase a cord and CB-Junior kit separately. The CB is very stable, the cord was only $20. I figured if the cord goes bad, it would be a $20 lesson...

One complaint about the CB-junior is the moveable bracket is too soft and the flash will move during motion of the camera. There are graduated stops, and it will take a heck of a lot of movement to displace it, although it is possible. I really do not move that quickly with my camera.

In general, I am not a fan of 'kits'.

So Im looking to purchase a flash and on B&H's website they of course have the speedlight and then a speedlight kit. Are the things in the kit good to have off the bat while your learning flash. Im assuming its for off camera use.

Nikon | SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe-Mount Flash Kit | B&H

Nikon | SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash | 4802 | B&H

Now I plan on doing some portrait work, macro and landscape this summer. A bit of everything. Not sure if its worth the extra 60$ or not.
What would you use the flash bracket for?

I was really close to buying that kit. I ended up buying the lumopro though with a standard wire. But I did get the stroboframe. The strobofram came before the flash though so I can't report on it yet.

I just got my stroboframe and I love it.
Of course you do. You just got it. But you haven't yet had a chance to experience some of it's subtleties.

Write us a review after you've had a chance to use it for a month or so. :thumbup::D

^^^^ Yeah I know. One thing I find annoying is I have to flip the camera around to do shots with a portrait layout. If I don't the flash is under the camera instead of above it. then I have to flip it back for landscape layout or I can't reach the controls. Still like it though. doesn't seem like too much of a big deal. I don't swap around too often while shooting, and it only takes a second to swap the camera and the flash around.

Can anyone recommend a stroboframe or other good brand that offers a tilt mount for the camera to turn 90 degree's to do vertical positioning, while keeping the flash right above the lens?

I just did a wedding and more than once I wished I had a stroboframe to hold the flash above the camera instead of having to do it myself, could have used a 3rd arm then. : )

I looked around but the ones I found didnt seem to tilt. the pro that I assisted years ago had one and it was great. gave a spot to hold onto it comfortably, a thing to rest it in yoru arms for when you wernet taking pictures, and the camera tilted. I didnt notice a wobble from the flash either.

Most reactions

Back