What's new

Is this a decent shot?

JerseyJules

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
112
Reaction score
10
Location
The Armpit of America, New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If not, why? CC please...

$7854106522_53541bbc2e_h.webp
$7854108226_2719cd6037_h.webp
 
Yeah, I think it's pretty decent.

Having the sun centered side-to-side and the water horizon centered top to bottom takes some of the visual drama out of this, though. I'd have shot it from a little further back to give more sky and push the water horizon down in the frame, I think. The sun in the middle I'm kind of digging, with the crane off center. Good use of near/far relationships, we have similarities in the structures of the dock and the crane.

I'd push the contrast up a touch, just to get the shadows nice and black, without losing too much detail overall in the frame, just to get a little more visual pop.
 
I'd say it is indeed quite decent. Nicely rendered sun. Not "fantastic", but certainly a very respectable sunset/marine scene.
 
Yeah, I think it's pretty decent.

Having the sun centered side-to-side and the water horizon centered top to bottom takes some of the visual drama out of this, though. I'd have shot it from a little further back to give more sky and push the water horizon down in the frame, I think. The sun in the middle I'm kind of digging, with the crane off center. Good use of near/far relationships, we have similarities in the structures of the dock and the crane.

I'd push the contrast up a touch, just to get the shadows nice and black, without losing too much detail overall in the frame, just to get a little more visual pop.

Thanks, I was trying from a few angles, it was a humid day so it seemed there was a "fuzziness" in the air so the images weren't that clear. FYI this phot is untouched right out of the camera with no editing..
 
With an exposure that makes it look round...oftentimes, in a "digital sunset", there will be a HORRIBLE, yellow "blow-out"... the way the sun itself is rendered is one area where film and digital capture systems often have a HUGE, very obvious difference. In your two photos, the sun is rendered in a very natural, lovely way...on many digital sunsets, the sun itself is nowhere to be seen, and instead, there is often a VERY large "blob" that is entirely blown-out, and which can at times have a long "spike" of blown-out pixels that just looks like crap.
 
These types of sunsets are typical on a warm, hazy day in which moisture in the atmosphere can filter out the bright rays enough and still allow you to capture some foreground light. It's a nice balance and a good capture.
 
Second one is an answer to the problems in first; i really liked it :D
 
I like it, just a little lopsided!
 
I love the colours and would try to get more of the sunset and those light poles as the main subject, without the cranes and foreground elements. Something like this (I straightened the horizon, too - well, I think it's straight now - lol..):

$1.webp

I wonder what sound those lights would make on a music staff?
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom