is this a good deal?

The lens is decent... the price is average... it will be a good lens for outdoor shooting on skateboarding... but will not help with shooting indoors really... IS is really only good if your subject is still, or if you can accurately track the subject given the shutter speed you can manage to get... but even at ISO1600 your shutter speeds would be fairly low and you would have a LOT of motion blur... even in areas you wouldnt want, such as the skateboard flipping or turning in the air...as well as arms moving and such...

That lens is a good step up from the 18-55 kit lens (I have both)...but as mentioned, and as I've said several times before...IS will not help to freeze subject motion. It would be more beneficial to have a 'fast' lens with a big maximum aperture, when shooting sports or bands etc.

I understand the attraction of zooms. But honestly, for freezing action or shooting bands in low light without flash, you want a fast lens. A slow zoom lens and another slow zoom lens will be quite limiting in that regard. I'd skip one of those zooms and get a fast prime instead. A 50mm f/1.8 is ridiculously cheap for what it can do for you, and you could get a 50mm f/1.4, 24mm f/1.8, or even an 85mm f/1.8 for less than the cost of that Sigma. Any of these primes will be very useable in low light; what's more you can stop down a bit and get very sharp shots at say f/2.8 which doesn't even exist on either of those zoom lenses.

Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] and a 50mm 1.8? is that good?

The 50 will be excellent for the low-light concert work. The 17-50 with a constant f/2.8 max aperture sounds like a great combination of speed and flexibility for general use; I haven't used it myself but a few reviews say it performs well even wide-open. Both sound like very good lenses, of course you don't need to go for those specific ones but they do seem to have the right properties for what you want to do.

i used the 18-55mm and a rebel xt with a 430 flash to shoot my friends hardcore band. and regardless you just have to mess around and see what works for you. i hate red lights thats all i know.

You should slow down a little. That is no chump change you're talking about.

You know what I'd do if I were you? Get a Rebel XTi body, and with the money you save on that, get the really killer lenses you'll need to do a good job of close action.

Example:
  • Rebel XTi body. (the nice black one, not the girly silver one)
  • Sigma 30mm f/1.4
  • Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 (cheaper than the Tamron, just as good)
  • Canon Speedlite (I'm not familiar with the models)
Then, take a break, let your finances recover, and see what you can do. You may also want to save some money for an extra battery pack and memory.

no, i hate the rebels.

this what im gonna get:

30d body
tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
canon 50mm f/1.8
B&W slim polarizer filter for the tamron
2GB extreme III memory card
and a 80GB portable Harddrive (as my computer hard drive is almost filled)
$1760(shipping included) the 30d is used but a 10 condition from B&H

then i will save for the 430ex flash

Most reactions

Back