Is this lens (Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM) good for landscape?

Aleforge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and own a old Canon 450D (Rebel XSi). The only thing I have used it for is astrophotography. So my experience with lens's is almost zero (use telescope). Anyhow I am taking a trip to Vail, CO this summer and would love to start giving landscape photography a try. I know there will be a learning curve, but I am kind of tight on money at the moment. Doing as much research as possible I came across one lens that seems like it might be good all around for a lower price. But I have not really spoken to experts to get a personal opinion on it.

The lens in question (as in title) is a Canon EF-S 24mm f/2,8 STM.

I am looking for a wider angle than the kit lens, and zoom is not much of a concern as I want to get wider shots of vista's. Also as a note I bought my camera off of ebay, and unknowing to me the original kit lens was not included. It was actually a lower quality one (I forgot the exact model) but reviews online mentioned it was more of a "toy" than anything else.

The one other advantage I picked out on this particular lens was the aperture size. It seems fairly decent and might have a secondary use of night sky shots. Or at the very least work well in low level light.

The last question I wanted to ask is a suggestion on filters for landscape. Should I for sure pick up a polarizing filter?

I appreciate the help!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back