It's not often I get to photograph the milky way somewhere that's never been done

unreal. do you mind if i ask how many exposures your used making this wonderful shot?

unreal. do you mind if i ask how many exposures your used making this wonderful shot?

So this is 3 exposures. One exposed for the sky and lighthouse, which was 25 seconds iso3200 @f2.8. The foreground was 8 minutes at iso1600 f5.6 (I believe, not on my computer so I can't check the exif right now but it's somewhere around there), and then I took an exposure for just the lens of the lighthouse at iso400 1 second at f8. I ended up using a very light grey brush on the actual lens when merging exposures just to tone down the highlights a bit. To the naked eye you could clearly make out the dividers in the lens but obviously they got super overexposed in the sky photo.

Brilliantly executed...I like Maine...(bucket list) your prior research was well worth it. I can't wait till your next post..

Brilliantly executed...I like Maine...(bucket list) your prior research was well worth it. I can't wait till your next post..

Hey stop gushing over this tourist! ;)

Nice photo. Next time you have to venture inland.

Watch...within a month there will be 57 dudes on 500px trying to copy this...right down to the weirdly-mown grass.

Congratulations on your achievement...it's very RARE these days to see any kind of landscape/skyscape that has not been done to death by the aggregator site drone army soldiers. Good idea!

Stunning! I can't wait to read the whole story. Thanks for sharing your hard work with us.

Watch...within a month there will be 57 dudes on 500px trying to copy this...right down to the weirdly-mown grass.

Congratulations on your achievement...it's very RARE these days to see any kind of landscape/skyscape that has not been done to death by the aggregator site drone army soldiers. Good idea!

Thanks Derrel! I did post it on 500px yesterday and it made it to the popular page so you may be right haha. I'm friends with most of the other serious night photographers in New England and they are already trying to get out there after seeing this photo, just glad I got to do it first. Definitely an amazing opportunity and I feel pretty lucky that it all worked out. Now I just need to find the next crazy location...

This is incredible. I've been so impressed with your work! I keep going back to look at it - and if your other lighthouse pic is even better, I can't wait to see it either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back