Job offer has me thinking....

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So an interesting thing happened a few days ago. Having spent four days in the desert on a bit of a photographic expedition, I hauled ass up a mountain with a friend to shoot the sunset. Huffing and puffing, I shot a beautiful sunset, and enjoyed the solitude. Then, as we turned to head back down, I noticed a couple on the summit with us. The guy was trying the classic "here rock, hold my camera and take a photo of us", so I offered to help. Turns out he's shooting a 5dMKIII with a 24-105 on it. I take the photos, we chat a bit about places in the park to shoot star trails, then my friend and I head out. 100 ft or so down the trail, and I notice the gentleman walking after us. He asks what we're doing after college (I graduate in six months) and I mention that I plan on doing some travel photography. The guy mentions that he works (or runs?) a commercial photography firm in Los Angeles. "We're always looking for new interns, but you seem to know what you're doing" were his next words, mentioning that there would be something for me if I was interested in moving to LA. I took down his information, and he requested that I shoot him my portfolio when I got home. Looking up the company now that I am home, they've got clients like Nike, Valvoline, Kawasaki, and more.

Long story short, a potential job offer has gotten me thinking about what I'm doing after college. Majoring in Ecology, I plan on attending grad. school, but it would be nice to take a year or two off and clear some of my student loans. I'm not opposed to moving to Los Angeles if this whole thing pans out, it would be a big change. I'm not a fan of big cities, but have plenty of friends down there. Suddenly I've realized how I could move most anywhere, and it's gotten me thinking. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on places, or ways to narrow down an endless list of locations?

On another note, any suggestions on the best way to follow up with this job offer? I hardly have a portfolio put together, though I do have a decent website. Do photographers in LA make decent money? Enough to live and pay off student loans?

Thanks for the insight folks :)

A saying my dad always told me was you only live once and your a long time dead

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Oh, why don't I meet someone like that? I would know exactly what to do :)

That's in my case. But I really don't know what kind of advice to give you. Ecology-Photography-Commercial photography, what would you like to do mostly?
It's a fact though, that internship would be a great experience and you would make some great contacts.

I'm also curious to hear replies you will get

A saying my dad always told me was you only live once and your a long time dead

I wish my parents were talking this way, I would probably have more courage to make big decisions...

Oh, why don't I meet someone like that? I would know exactly what to do :)

That's in my case. But I really don't know what kind of advice to give you. Ecology-Photography-Commercial photography, what would you like to do mostly?
It's a fact though, that internship would be a great experience and you would make some great contacts.

I'm also curious to hear replies you will get

Thanks for the reply :) I know I'll return to get my PhD eventually, and then on to doing research and hopefully becoming a professor. Ecology is what I'm curious about, photography is what I'm equally passionate about.

As for meeting folks like this guy, have you been to the top of any mountains lately?

I would assume that with high profile clients like that you would probably make a pretty decent salary. That said the cost of living can be expensive in LA if you are not careful. I say there is not harm in sending him some sort of portfolio and see what develops. You don't have to take the job if it is offered.

In another life, I made a living studying people, and what they do and what they say. You chose the word "curious" when talking about ecology. You chose the word "passionate" when talking about photography. That's a significant thing. If I was a betting man, I know which way I would bet on you leaning.

I don't know what the cost of living is in Davis, but I'd be willing to bet it's less than Los Angeles. A LOT less. L.A. is the equivalent of New York. Ain't nothin' cheap.

If it's a paid internship, you need to look at what the compensation will be. Assuming it's solid, you have to consider whether or not, after living in Los Angeles and making a living as a photographer, are you going to, one day, give that up to get your Doctorate? It's easy to say "I want to take a year or two off", but much, much more difficult to actually do it.

I would explore this opportunity. If it didn't work out, I would add it to my resume, appreciate the experience, and head back to school. If it worked out, though, I would ride that train until the tracks ran out...

If I were you I would finish grad school sooner than later. If you stop, it is harder to start back up. Grad school in L.A.?

Yes I've always heard that the second you stop school, your chances of returning decline drastically no matter what your intentions may be.

The typical internship is short-term, meaning that not only is the pay lower than average, you should be expecting to be "eased out" in a couple of years.

Then you can go to grad school.

Go for the internship.

Most reactions

Back