Just a friendly reminder to everyone...

I'd move somewhere warmer runnah. :lmao: I threaten my wife everytime we have ice that I'm moving south to warmer climates.

I always tell my boss about this time of year that if it the weather turns cold and I don't show up or call for two or three days, she'll know...I've headed off to live in the Caribbean and make a living selling photos to tourists. :lmao:

Need a second camera for that gig? Beats being cold.

I'd move somewhere warmer runnah. :lmao: I threaten my wife everytime we have ice that I'm moving south to warmer climates.

I always tell my boss about this time of year that if it the weather turns cold and I don't show up or call for two or three days, she'll know...I've headed off to live in the Caribbean and make a living selling photos to tourists. :lmao:

Need a second camera for that gig? Beats being cold.

Yeah, I could use help. But right now, I'm still waiting on that job offer as the next head coach of the TN Vols, and I've already slated you as an assistant. :biglaugh:
(for those who didn't read the thread where THAT conversation originated, that won't make much sense...)

And for some reason I keep moving further north. Next stop, Canada!

Far as I know a DSLR and lenses should be pretty ok even in very cold conditions. Yes your batty capacity will drop with the cold and yes you will want to let it warm up before exposing it to a new atmosphere to avoid condensation (just leave it in the camera bag to warm up). But otherwise DSLRs are pretty hardy things.

I think you'd be physically feeling very adverse effects or having to seriously cover up at the temperatures where a DSLR would seriously start to suffer.

That said I wouldn't leave one in the car overnight - not only can it get bitterly cold but its a very easy theft target (sadly).

Far as I know a DSLR and lenses should be pretty ok even in very cold conditions. Yes your batty capacity will drop with the cold and yes you will want to let it warm up before exposing it to a new atmosphere to avoid condensation (just leave it in the camera bag to warm up). But otherwise DSLRs are pretty hardy things.

I think you'd be physically feeling very adverse effects or having to seriously cover up at the temperatures where a DSLR would seriously start to suffer.

That said I wouldn't leave one in the car overnight - not only can it get bitterly cold but its a very easy theft target (sadly).

The biggest concern is the dials and switches that can snap in the cold or get bound up. LCDs can get frozen and have spotting.

What about the mirror mount? I'm sure that can easily break if you snap a few off in burst if you don't let it warm a little first?

I kinda miss really cold winters. At least I don't have to worry about mold!

At where I am now, winter doesn't get below freezing, but it's wet. WET ALL YEAR!!!!! My shoes have been covered with mold three times in 6 months. I eventually just let it hang outdoors AND IT STILL GET MOLDY!!!

My gear is in a dry box, but I am constantly worried about my camera bag getting mold too. There's just not enough sun to get enough UV. In fact, it's raining out now.

Cold wise, it's more of a temperature change that can cause damage.
Materials expand and contract. Machines are designed to function properly at its working temperature. For example, the SR71 is designed to fly at mach 45243522542625, so it leaks oil on the ground cus it's not at it's working temp.

Cameras have lots of precised moving parts, mostly designed to function well within a temperature range. When materials contract, the tolerance of the parts change. Then there are also the different contraction rates between different materials. Metals contract way more than plastic. Imagine how the parts will *not fit right with each other.

I've used my gear at below freezing for prolonged hours of exposure. Once my 35mm lube dried up in the cold, but that's more of a maintenance issue. Lithium batteries can work until about -10~20c. They are more afraid of heat.

I think it's the matter of letting your gear acclimate when you move it from varying conditions. Once I went into a tropical green house in the winter. The lens and view finder won't stop fogging up for 30min. After that, everything was find.

Living in Canada is harsh on the camera, I do a few winter shoots, I always condition my camera by leaving it out of its bag in the car as I scout, that way I try to avoid the dreadful condensation... Also pro tip - store all of your batteries against your body, inside your jacket is great or in a shirt pocket - your body heat will help them stay charged, the cold drains them so fast. Good gloves also act as impromptu cf card holders too!

Living in Canada is harsh on the camera, I do a few winter shoots, I always condition my camera by leaving it out of its bag in the car as I scout, that way I try to avoid the dreadful condensation... Also pro tip - store all of your batteries against your body, inside your jacket is great or in a shirt pocket - your body heat will help them stay charged, the cold drains them so fast. Good gloves also act as impromptu cf card holders too!]

This is all great information and tips.

My tip is that once returning from your outdoor adventure and into the warmth is to leave your camera in your camera bag, allowing it to warm up slowly. This will help w/ creating condensation as well.

Cold doesn't drain batteries, it cools the chemicals in the battery and slows down the chemical reactions so they don't produce as much power cold as they do warm.
Once warmed back up, a cold battery has about the same amount of power it had before it was cooled, assuming it wasn't cooled for a long time (days or weeks - depending on the type of battery).

Condensation only forms when going from a cold environment to a warm, humid environment.
In winter, condensation forms when bringing cold gear into a warm, humid room.
In summer. condensation forms on warm humid days when taking cool gear outside.

I've used DSLR camera gear in outside temperatures (including wind chill) as low as 47° below freezing.
I had a gripped Nikon D90/50 mm f/1.8 outside on a tripod at -15° for about an hour and a half to make a series of images for a sunset HDR.

Last edited:
If you're worried about condensation, pop your gear into a big ziploc bag OUTSIDE before you start warming it. Try to squeeze most of the air out of the bag, but don't worry overmuch as the cold outside air is quite dry anyways. Then bring this airtight bag-o-stuff inside and let it warm up. Then take the gear out of the bag.

Keeping it inside your camera bag is a good choice as well, and probably works almost as well, and is certainly easier. If you're going from -40 into the Rain Forest Display At The Zoo, you might want to do the ziplocs, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back