What's new

Just got my blackrapid strap...

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
14,457
Reaction score
3,329
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...and in the process of removing my OEM Nikon strap I have to say I'm fairly shocked that:

1. I was EVER worried about that strap coming loose on its own.
2. I was EVER able to get the strap on that way... holy cow. Complicated. :lol:

I really need to find a good quick-disconnect standard strap now though because I don't think I'll always want to use the BR. We shall see, though. It IS really nice. I can see how people would get easily hooked.
 
Which BR did you purchase, if you don't mind me asking?
 
I really like mine (RS7) and use it exclusively but it is a PITA when shooting portrait to have that button where I want to rest my palm and it can't easily be used with pod.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #4
Which BR did you purchase, if you don't mind me asking?

The RS7.

I really like mine (RS7) and use it exclusively but it is a PITA when shooting portrait to have that button where I want to rest my palm and it can't easily be used with pod.

Yeah, though it is easy enough to disconnect it from the little holder dingy.
 
i was looking at br a few years ago for hiking so i could have my camera out of the bag and ready, but not put all of the weight on my neck. settled on 2 quickdraw carabiners that attach to the shoulder straps of my hiking backpack.
 
You guys and your fancy straps... I have Domke 'Gripper' straps on all of my cameras (and large binoculars, lol). It's like the most basic you can get. Still awesome though. And it has easy to use quick disconnects for when I want to go strapless. :lol:

That reminds me ... I need to add one to my cart at B&H to go with the camera that is in there... Just waiting for the money...
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
heheh... well I'm sorta done buying all kinds of bags, so now I must obsess over straps!

How well do those clips on the end connect to an average strap point on a camera? It looks like they'd be too big to fit on my camera, but I'm attracted to them because they look like they would be VERY solid and very easy to remove, leaving behind no odd dangly things.
 
I really like mine (RS7) and use it exclusively but it is a PITA when shooting portrait to have that button where I want to rest my palm and it can't easily be used with pod.

I ordered one of these to test it... Amazon.com: Black Color Carry Speed Rapid Mounting Plate with Tripod Mount Ready: Camera & Photo with my RS7, and I can put it on the camera... and then mount my QR mono or tripod plate to it, and still attach the black rapid. I have had it on several long hikes and had no problems with movement or getting loose. Try it, you might like it.
 
heheh... well I'm sorta done buying all kinds of bags, so now I must obsess over straps!

How well do those clips on the end connect to an average strap point on a camera? It looks like they'd be too big to fit on my camera, but I'm attracted to them because they look like they would be VERY solid and very easy to remove, leaving behind no odd dangly things.
They attach mid-way up the strap - so, with the main strap portion removed, you still have dangly things hanging off of the camera. It hasn't been a big deal for me - but I can see how it could be a potential issue.

That said - they are very solid. And 'grippy' as hell. Thin, lightweight, and lots of grip. Not for everybody, but I love them. They're about as 'plain jane' as you can get - if you want something that won't draw attention, they may be the answer.


edit
They also swivel, so it is pretty much impossible to get your strap twisted.


edit, 2
If you have ever used a Domke bag, it is the same sort of material they use for the bag strap. Woven cotton (strong, though), with rubberized threads interwoven. They grip better than any other strap I have used.

If you're walking around with a 500mm prime or something, you may find it uncomfortable though - there is no padding.


If you're familiar with Domke products, they're mostly designed by and for PJ's.
 
Last edited:
If a lot of bending over or wanting to ride a bike found the Brad accessory to strap to be a positive experience to add to BR strap. Got one for my older RS-1 and helps secure strap from sliding around when raising camera to shoot. Or with bumper on strap above camera then can slide it down to secure the camera behind the hip without it riding forward.
.
 
got everything out today to begin packing for my vacation so figured i'd take a shot of my backpack and carabiners while they were out. the bag is the northface recon and is the best backpack i've ever owned, the bottom is slanted so all of the weight in the pack is sitting next to your lower back instead of away from your body like in most overfilled backpacks. inside i can carry pretty much everything, i use lens wraps (the grey thing with foil inside around the white lens, actually the size i use for the camera body with a lens) and the tripod fits in the mesh pouch on the other side.

camera looks like it hangs low but when the pack is empty it sits probably half an inch above where it would if i was just using the strap, the weight is on the shoulders and back instead of the neck. the neck strap just lays on my neck, just so i don't forget to put it on when i take the camera off of the carabiners and drop it. when the pack is full it sits about another half inch higher.

 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom