Just looking for some C&C

Mr.EightA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos were taken at my moms house in front of some horrific curtains. The family is my brother and his family, and the boy is my oldest son. Other then the horrible back ground and the fact that the black shirts are completely black, I would like some feed back. The shirt my son is wearing is actually grainy so it is supposed to be that way in the photo. $Chris and family.jpg$iNathan_edited-1.jpg

What kind of lighting did you use? Looking in everyone's eyes I would guess pop up flash and the second light source on your right side.

Ok, I'll play. I'm not into portrait's, so I'll play the part of your client who probably also knows squat about portraits

1.You chopped off bits of the baby while leaving truck loads of dead space on the left and the facial highlights seem overexposed.

2. This one seems on the warm side even given the natural complexion of the boy

As your client, try again

What kind of lighting did you use? Looking in everyone's eyes I would guess pop up flash and the second light source on your right side.
yes a speedlight and pop up I was trying for fill lighting I would have liked two more lights one for backtop highlight and one from the left for fill with out pop up but my equipment is limited for now.

What Rick said, plus there doesn't seem to be any detail in the blacks on the woman's and the young lad's shirt

The curtain background is not as bothersome to me as it is to you. The biggest flaw I see is that the lower part of the man's face is in shadow. You can't do much regarding what the subjects are wearing. I know, I've tried.

I'll go along with what Rick58 said +...

#1.. The posing is a little off. There is too big a space tween the man & woman head; should be tighter and the overlap close to the babies head.
Positive comment about the flash is the eye lights and the warmth expressed by the subject; + for you.

#2 Your white balance is off the charts. You might have a incandescent choice in cam that would have cooled off the heat.

Keep shooting...

Rags

Nice shots of the family. Since you're not selling them, the people in them and their family memebers will love them. Lighten up.

If you plan to take shots of other people and sell them, follow the above advice.

Nice shots of the family. Since you're not selling them, the people in them and their family memebers will love them. Lighten up. If you plan to take shots of other people and sell them, follow the above advice.
At some point I would like to be there and that's why I'm practicing on family. They love free shoots as long as there still free In a few years.

Always address clothing choices with clients. Black is not a good choice. Just look at mom and her black hole shirt. Some blown out areas in #1. the white balance is off in #2 and its crooked.

All the black shirts appear to be way too much to compensate for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back