K9 MOTIVATION

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,

I got out with my gun dogs today, MAC (21 months old) and TRAD (six years old). Being retired from my original career affords me the opportunity to spend lots o' quality time with the lads and ye might say we are quite tightly bonded.

The hunt test season now behind us, we are in full swing o' the gunning season for birds, though I don't hunt every day, I most often try to train on days whence not out chasing birds with dogs and gun. I keep me dogs motivated by keeping them engaged both physically and mentally. I constantly think o' strategies to challenge me retrievers, keeping it fun, but making them problem solve whilst simultaneously setting them up to succeed. We work as a team daily and that translates into their having complete trust and faith in me, a trust I take most seriously. I was once upon a time quite a serious deer hunter. I have not deer hunted for several years as my dogs would be sitting home while I spent hour upon hour in the deer stand. Rare now is the time me dogs are not with me. All said, I do me best to keep them highly motivated. In looking at the matter analytically, they in turn keep me highly motivated as I am now in me 6th decade o' life.

Today, we did not get to hunt so I took the boys out to train on moving water in a local river. It was cold today and the river was moving a fair clip, that requiring the dogs to time their retrieves on bumpers tossed relative to their movement with the current. The dogs were totally fun to watch and if the cold water had any effect on them, t'was not obvious to meself.

CALOh4cOS5afI8ygK3V5hA_thumb_a526_Fotor.jpg

HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH ~ Gun dog retriever TRAD is seen hitting the water hard whilst being worked on water retrieves. A most special companion to me, TRAD is a true joy to compete with and to hunt o'er. TRAD is the sire to me gun dog MAC.

4AKjS%nZS5SnWZW1eR7lbw_thumb_a575_Fotor.jpg

SHR LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC JH ~ A chip off the old block, MAC loves the water much like does his sire TRAD. MAC is seen here making retrieve o' a training bumper from the rapidly moving waters on a local river.

Our work on the water today kept the lads motivated, highly important for working breeds like retrievers. The boys and I will bet out again tomorrow, but we will be hunting for geese, something they both love. Keeping TRAD and MAC motivated tomorrow will require zero effort by me.

The relationship I share with the dogs I work with is a blessing, for them and for me.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Most reactions

Back