Kaesemann 77mm CPL

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering if this filter would be a pretty good choice for my canon 10-22mm USM lens, or if I would be just fine going with something cheaper. The reviews on this one are pretty nice. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Coated-Filter/dp/B0000BZLAC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269126896&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: B + W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Coated Glass Filter: Electronics[/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Coated-Filter/dp/B0000BZLAC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269126896&sr=8-6"][/ame]

Well the answer is yes and no. The Kaesemann is the best of the best circular polarizer out there.

But you may be dissapointed in its performance on the 10-20. And this is due to the ultra wide angle nature of the lens. Not a short comming of the filter. The 10-20 is so wide the filter will only have a full effect in a portion of what is framed. Only the light waves at 90 deg will be fully filtered, the lens is so wide you will get a circle of full effect tapering off to nothing in the rest of the frame. Now having said that, there is a solution to the proplem. And that is to take multiple shots adjusting the filter for each portion of the frame. Then combine the shots. Obviously this is not for quick snapshot type photo's, or for moving subjects.

Also the Kaesemann is a fairly tall filter. You may get a slight vignetting in the corners. Not sure but, may get it since the lens is so wide.

No polarizer made will cover ultra wide lenses. Just due to plain ole physics.

Well the CPL should at least cover something like 15-22mm correct?

Do you really need the weather sealing of a Kaesemann, that's what stands it above CPL's that are just Multi-Coated and made from Schott glass.

Do you really need the weather sealing of a Kaesemann, that's what stands it above CPL's that are just Multi-Coated and made from Schott glass.
Actually I don't since my camera isn't water proof. What would be a good CPL with just as high quality glass that isn't weather proofed?

I have the kaesemann on my 17-40 and its the bees knees. I aabsoluely love it with no regrets. Price Paid= $150 new on ebay, which is not bad

Most reactions

New Topics

Back