Keeping the original vintage film sleeves with new archival ones

Tobes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I have quite a lot of 120 film from the '60s and '70s in their original glassine sleeves.

Generally the sleeves have held up well but the staples worry me and many negs are in need of a clean, so I just picked up a bunch of archival sleeves for long term protection.

However, the original sleeves have history and often writing on them, which I'd like to preserve.

So, I was wondering if there is a (somewhat orderly) way of preserving the original sleeves with the new ones?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a lot of work transcribing the notes to the new sleeves. I doubt the old ones will fit inside the new ones.

I must ask: Why do negs stored in sleeves need cleaning?

Get Printfile archival sleeving and use a 3 ring binder. Use notebook paper to transfer the notes by hand (or double stick tape to the paper) and place them in the binder with the new neg sleeves.
If you need to clean the negs run them under warm water and then use Photo Flo and hang to dry.

Thanks for all your replies. Most are in nice condition but it's mainly about the staples (sleeves of 12, in 3 rows of 4 stapled together) and the unknown of how long the original sleeves will last, has me wanting to transfer the negs to new ones.

Great point about not mixing the two materials, so I'll probably keep the original sleeves in a sleeve itself of sorts and put it in the binder like webestang64 suggested.

Call me crazy but part of the reason for keeping the original sleeves is the history of who wrote the notes (generally, the photographer you'd think) and things like that. I find it fascinating and all a part of the history behind them.

I don't know that there's anything specific for that purpose so you might need to figure out your own system of organization. I was thinking along the same lines as others who posted.

Maybe use other larger archival sleeves to store the original sleeves that have notes on them. Store any other notes you make along with the negatives, in a binder but in different sleeves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back