Laptop Dilemma

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in dire need of a laptop, and I have it narrowed down to two. But I'm just not sure which would be the better deal in terms of photography/videography/price/specs.

Dell Precision 6700 (17.3")
i7-3740QM 3.7 GHz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
256GB SSD
Nvidia K3000m 2GB GDDR5 video card
PremierColor 1080p IPS screen
Blu Ray reader/writer

$2195

But then there's this laptop...

Sager NP9150 (15.6")
i7-3740QM 3.7 GHz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
120GB SSD (C: drive)
128GB SSD (extra storage)
Nvidia GeForce 675MX 4GB GDDR5
95% NTSC color gamut 1080p matte screen
Blu Ray reader/writer

$2044

So which one should I get? Haha. I know that's an unanswerable question, but seriously, is the IPS screen worth it? I mean, the Sager actually has better specs, and the 675MX graphics card is better than the K3000m unless I'm doing CAD, which I'm not. Is the 95% NTSC TN screen "good enough", or will I be kicking myself for not getting the Dell with the IPS screen later?

And don't tell me to just get a desktop, because I already have one and either laptop actually surpasses it in performance. Or at least they should.

I would rather have the IPS screen and the single, twice-as-large drive.

I'm with derrel! First one is better. I wonder how the video cards are.

Edit:

If you're not using anything that requires heavy GPU rendering get the Dell if your will forget it Nvidia K3000m is no where near the GeForce 675MX. The Nvidia K3000m is a workstation GPU and isnt recommended for normal daily usage.

Last edited:
I would also go with the IPS screen. Makes a huge difference. Plus the larger screen size.

I agree. The SSD is SO awesome, but having even just a 250 gig one can be challenging. Fighting with two smaller ones would be a pain in the butt... and the IPS panel is so key for photo stuff. I've got one now and I can't tell you how much happier I am with it than my previous tft screens.

I'm with derrel! First one is better. I wonder how the video cards are.

Edit:

If you're not using anything that requires heavy GPU rendering get the Dell if your will forget it Nvidia K3000m is no where near the GeForce 675MX. The Nvidia K3000m is a workstation GPU and isnt recommended for normal daily usage.

Yeah that's the only thing that kind of sucks. I intend on doing light gaming, which I think is okay since I've seen someone game with a K2000m on at least default settings. It's not the proper use of the card (I guess?) but the K3000M is supposedly the equivalent of the GTX 660m with different drivers.

And since Adobe's Mercury Engine only uses CUDA cores and isn't so GPU intensive I think it will work fine.

These two computers are so evenly matched with pros and cons lol. I want the IPS screen but at the same time the Sager is a "better" computer for less otherwise.

I'll probably go with the Dell. I like being able to edit accurately on the road lol.

Most reactions

Back